Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Most Accurate Factory Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted
There 200 yard groups from my CZ550 Varmint. A $480 rifle. And the rifle looks good.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mbogo375: For way way less than you inquire about I get excellent and universal accuracy from my Remington 700 variants! Always have. I own quite a number of them in calibers from 17 Remington up through 7mm Remington Magnum.
Not only are they accurate but they were accurate with no fiddling around (i.e.: bedding, crowning etc!). The only work I have done on the last 20 or so Remington 700's I have bought has been trigger work. And that was quickly and easily done.
Let me illustrate with group sizes (all FIVE SHOT GROUPS at 100 yards and last groups shot - no cherry picking!) for several of my latest Remington acquisitions from my loading log:

700 Sendero 270 Winchester - .729", .541", .611"

700 Varmint Stainless Steel - 17 Remington (Limited run) - .598", .413", .469"

700 Classic - 17 Remington - .596", .787", .562"

700 VLS - 204 Ruger - .480", .398", .330" .336"

700 Classic - 221 Remington Fireball - .882", .664", .753"

700 Classic - 222 Remington - .558", .613", .571", .524"

700 Classic - 222 Remington - .614", .542", .547". .426"

40X-BR - 222 Remington -(24xscope) .361", .370", .511", .290"

700 PSS -223 Remington (bought 1990 - first 3 groups out of the box!) .362", .293", .219" (20x scope)

700 Classic - 223 Remington - .251" (3 shots only for sightin), .659", .748"

700 VLSS - 223 Remington - (all stainless limited run) (first four groups out of the box!) .708", .693", .630", .581"

700 Varmint 223 Remington - (bought used - older gun fired very little) .282", .499", .927" (windy day), .678"

40XB-BR - 22 Remington Bench Rest - .313", .278", .314", .342" .459"

700 VLSS - 22-250 - (all stainless limited run) .448", .271"

700 VS - 220 Swift - .576", .430"

40XB-KS - 220 Swift - .448", .429", .402"

700 VSSF - 220 Swift - .743", .602" (brand new Rifle using loads from another Swift)

40X-BRKS - 6x47 (all factory original gun) - .393", .276", .496", .232", .410", .411", .151", .556" (windy)

700 VLS - 260 Remington (limited run) .451", .541", .406"

700 Classic - 7mm Remington Magnum - (3 shot groups at 100 yards) .52", .54", .51"

If you want reasonably priced accuracy and reliability I highly recommend Remington bolt action Rifles!

No games about these groups I do not leave accuracy to chance! I buy Remington!

Also most of the smaller calibered Remingtons I have listed use high end powered variable scopes and most all groups were shot on windless days. That is what I prefer to do anymore as windy day shooting is not (IMHO) the conditions I choose when shooting for load testing or sight in.

All above groups were shot with tediously constructed handloads that were crafted for the Rifle (except where noted).

Long live Remington!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Unlike many of you, I only have 4 centerfire rifles. One, a Remington Model 700 VLS in .243 Win, I have not shot yet.

My best shooter so far is a Ruger M77 stainless 7mm Rem. Mag. It is really forgiving and shoots a variety of factory and handloads at less than 1" at 100 yards (3 shot groups).

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blaser R93 of course!

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Strait from the box, Sauer 202 !

I have not yet seen one that is not capable do the Sub 1/2 min of angle even with factory ammo.

Alf,

As luck would have it, I have a Sauer 200 in 270 Win that I got in trade a few years ago. For some reason I never got around to shooting it, but it is in like new condition. Maybe I should put a scope on it and give it a try. Have you had any experience with the 200 as opposed to the 202?

Here are three of the first five targets (100 yards) that I shot with my (much maligned) Blaser R93 in 270 Win (the other two loads did almost as well as these). I suspect that the rifle is capable of better accuracy if I did my part a bit better, plus I was not using a proper bench and rest either.

The first target was with plain old Remington Core Lokt factory ammo (just used to get the scope on paper). The other loads have worked in other 270's, and seem to work in this rifle as well. Since I only intended to use it for local whitetail hunting I didn't bother to continue load development .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

<9.3x62>
posted
Remington model 722 in 222... less than $500

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Dang Alf

Where did my post go about the SSG ? and where did the pictures that you posted go ? and my moose ?

Gentlemen

Here is the photo again Moose shot with Sauer 30.06 in Sweden

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I realize this is not the question but.....
For 2 grand I can have a custom built.
I am doing a 280IMP
$400.00 for a used 700BDL
$396 for a fluted Lilja barrel
$138 for a reamer, cut to my demensions
$50 for a go gauge
$200 for a High Tech stock (I am doing the work my self)
$70.00 for a Tubb firing pin and Holland trigger kit
$25.00 for a Holland recoil lug.
$300.00 for my smith to blue print everything and put her togther. $1579.00 not counting taking my smith to lunch becuase he will turn my gun in 5 days. Should be shooting by mid Oct.
I am kicking around another $200 to get the gun KG coated. This is not a crap shoot like buying over the counter, everything he has built for me shoots better than I do. The gun is my way, weight, balance, barrel length, caliber, LOP, pad and finish.
I would go in this order for an over the counter
Pre J-lock Rem (gonna have to go used)
Savage
CZ
Browning A bolt
I have owned all but the CZ but have fired a few, this is how they stacked up for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i dont know if it is the most accurate rifle but it is the most consistent rifle and most accurate rifle i have owned and that is the SAKO 75 and the schmidt & bender that sits on top doesnt hurt either

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=20621&cat=500[/image]

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
I see we have a lot of votes for the Savage. I've never owned one and heard many a shooter talk of how good they shoot. I gues I'll sum it up this way, I don't mind if a gun doesn't look really good, but it just HAS TO feel good. I can't think of one thing about the Savage bolt actions that < !--color--> FEELS GOOD! The overall package is kind of bulky and heavy feeling, the action itself has felt coarse and gritty on everyone I've ever touch, cheap crapy stocks with poor contour, and that's before we ever touch topics like a long action 223, what a fabulous idea that was!! Not trying to flame anyone here, I do understand they have their advantages; No. 1 they're CHEAP, I can understand that I shop for price myself, No. 2 apparently they can and do shoot, also very admirable, unitized construction makes them easier to work on and customize to each individual's taste, a case in point is the barrel lock nut situation makes it a relatively easy matter to change and head space barrels, hence there are a large number of available pre-chambered tubes available for the critters, while on the topic there are a large number of after market parts and accessaries for them!

I guess my point here is that I've never owned one because for me they always have and probably always will FEEL LIKE A CHEAP PIECE OF CRAP and as the man who taught me to shoot always said of purchasing a rifle "you have to purchase one that fits well('feels good to') you or no matter how good a rifle it is you'll probably never shoot it very well"! Savage just doesn't offer ME that "fit".

Having said that I'm not sure where to cast my vote. I've had sort of 50/50 luck with Ruger and very limited "NEW" rifle experience with most of the others. The couple of CZ's I've recently bought have been phenomenial though, I'll have to give my vote to them. Too bad too because I really like the way the Rugers "feel"!

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gabriel
posted Hide Post
Can anybody tell me what kind of rifles are in ALF's pictures?

Thanx

Survival of the fittest? That's just natural selection.

Posts: 117 | Location: ND/United States | Registered: 14 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gabriel, the 2 rifles that are showing up in my view of Alf's post are
1.(top pic) is a Sauer 202 Manlicher stock.

2.(bottom pic) is a Sauer 202 Takedown model, you push the button on the forend in and the forend detaches, and then you retract the bolt sharply, and the barrel detaches from the action.

In all of the 202 rifles (and it's forerunner the 200) the 3 lug barrel engages with recesses in the barrel, not the receiver. I love the 202's, got a bunch, but they are damn hard to get parts for over here, I had a buttstock broken on one of my takedown 202's on a return from a hunting trip, and absolutely cannot get anyone to get a buttstock for me, so I'm probably going to have to go custom to replace it.........
Rifles just shoot fabulously, but so do all of my Sako's too!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
the problem with remingtons is they lack character to me they are just boring!!!! I am doing up a custom remmy myself, the only reason I am doing it on a remington is because of all the options and stuff that is available for it.

I strongly considered doing the gun on a ruger or 70 action because they have much more character,

BTW I also have a CZ 550 varmint that will do at least what that one is doing at 100 yds with factory ammo or my sucky handloads

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you want to dump a ton of money into really making it shoot. Here's the plan:

Rifle #1) CRF action, blued, nicely figured wood stock with quality checkering in .270, .280, 30-06, or some other very classic caliber. Lots of character and very classic. I take it out of the safe and show it to people when they come to house.

Rifle #2) SS Remington with Brown Precision painted stock in a WSM caliber. No character at all, in a caliber that is kind of the new and "trendy" and can never be truly a classic. This gun is what I actually am going to USE for HUNTING when I need a gun that is accurate and reliable rain, snow, cold, hot, dry, etc.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience has been decidedly CZ. I have dealt with six CZ centerfire rifles, in varying configurations (American, Lux, Full Stock)bought by three different people from different dealers and each one of them have been very accurate. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote