New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Mod 70 barrel contour question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can someone tell me the difference in standard and featherwieght barrel contours on the Mod70 classics?

Does anyone have the barrel contour data? I looked around but did not find any.

Thank you,

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Classic Sporter LT in 300 Win Mag and a Classic Featherweight in 300 WSM. I just took a few meaurements on each barrel at a few points along the barrel (same distance from the receiver on each rifle) and they were all the same within a few thousanths of a inch. The main difference is the "featherweight" is 2 inches shorter.

Looking at Winchesters web page, I compared the barrel lengths of both Sporters and Featherweights of the same caliber. The Featherweights were all 2 inches shorter that the Sporter barrels, except for the WSM calibers where they were the same on both models.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The featherwieghts (or at least they used to) in the standard calibers such as 06 and .270 have a very light 22 inch barrel that ends at a diameter of about .550 inch at the muzzle . It is simialr to what many barrel makers call their # 1 contour .

The standard M-70 s and the magnums in the featherweight model have a considerably heavier barrel (especially right at the action ring) 24 inch long and I believe it would be close to a #3 contour ..

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. In some cases it would be nice if barrel contours were standardized. It seems the various barrel makers are all different.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I think it's better to have more contours from which to choose. JMHO!

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote