New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 RS w/ tang safety opinions Please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Late Seventies RS African in 458win. Good condition and price is right.

What do you think?

Thanks

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the same M77 in .458 Win... mine left the factory in March 1980.

I've found my M77 to be an excellent shooter and 110% reliable. It feeds and functions perfectly and the action on the older Rugers seems to be smoother than the newer ones. This .458 is slick as butter. I also like the standard length action on the early M77's. It's also got a nice finish and wood on it.

As for the tang safety... I like the tang safety alot in fact, it's very natural to get into action.

I think the only negatives you'll hear about it is that it's a push-feed v CRF, so depends on whether that's a big factor to you and what you intend to use it for. They can probably be converted to CRF by a good 'smith and then I'd say you'll have a fantastic rifle. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to use it on anything that walks, it's the most reliable and slickest bolt gun I've ever owned in fact.

With Re7 handloads mine chrono's 500gr Hornady RN Interbonds at 2125 fps with no problem.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Absolutely horrible rifle - avoid at all costs. How do I contact the person selling it?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!