New
Find
Notify
Tools

cartridge for the 98 mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have noticed that the 98 mauser action is a bit restrictive on magazine length for 06 length cartridges. Being that it does not allow bullets to be seated to maximum OAL thus too much space between ogive and lands. I like to seat my bullets .050" off the lands. Granted these are hunting rifles but maximum accuracy is a desireable aspect of a custom rifle. I have also noticed my .280 remington has some feeding issues with the 98 action, seems the extra .010" on the case body binds with the top of the chamber during feeding. I can only imagine the potential problems for an improved 06 case. How about the 57MM (7x57, 8x57, 257 rob, 6MM rem) improved case feeding in the 98 action? Is there a .7.62X57MM imp wildcat option?

Posts: 81 | Location: Up nort | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same question while back. You can read up on the answers I got...Here

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 98 action will handle the -06 class of cartridges with minor work to the rear of the mag box and polishing the frt of the box and feed ramp. A little polishing on the extractor/bolt face may help your 280, check the chamber chamfer/ polish also.

Posts: 32 | Location: lancaster,pa | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have a 338win on a M-98 and it works perfectly. One of my gunsmithing books goes into how to convert one for a 375H&H. I think the bigest limiter is the casehead size.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I heard all kinds of horror stories about feeding problems with improved versions in a 98 but I never took heed. Now I have a 257 AI on a 98 and in comparison there is very little difference between it and the original 8X57 case that once operated in it. I did smooth out the feeding ramp just a little bit (3 minites with a dremell) but that was all it took, it feeds perfectly. No need to alter the magazine box, open the bolt face etc. Just a wonderfull rifle that feeds and functions flawlesly. The 7X57 AI is virtually the same thing in a bigger more versatile caliber and would also be an excellent choice for a simple smooth M-98 project..

Incidentaly I recently worked up my new deer load for that gun. I ended up with a 115 grn BT over 44.5 grns of IMR 4350 for 3150 fs and sub moa groups. With performance like that on tap why bother with major alterations? [Wink]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I KNOW SEVERAL PEOPLE WHO HAVE '06 LENGTH CASES CHAMBERED ON THEIR M-98 ACTIONS AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS, AFTER THEY ARE WORKED OVER BY A GUNSMITH WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING. ONE OF THEM HAS AN 8MM-06 A.I., WHICH IS, BY HIS ACCOUNTS, A FIREBREATHING DRAGON, BUT FEEDS WITH NO PROBLEMS. I HAVE INTENTIONS TO BUILD ONE MYSELF, BUT WILL HAVE TO WAIT A WHILE. THE 30-06 CASE LENGTH IS APPROXIMATELY 62 MM, IF MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECT, SO THAT IS A ROUGHLY 5 MM DIFFERENCE IN LENGTH. THE ACTION IS DEFFINITELY BUILT TO ACCOMIDATE THE CASES, SO A LITTLE TUNING SHOULD BE ALL THAT IS NEEDED TO GET IT UP AND RUNNING.

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD SHOOTING,
ETERRY

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Europe, the "normal limit" is considered 64 mms case length, commonly used in such popular cartridges as 7x64, 8x64, 9,3x64, or the rare 6,5x64 (Kepplinger's version of the 6,5mm-06).

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I overlooked the issue of possible problems you will encounter with some intermediate 98 actions. One of these will require more work for proper feeding and oal on -06 class cartridges. Good luck. OA... Dan made a good point...

Posts: 32 | Location: lancaster,pa | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote