New
Find
Notify
Tools

SPS trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just found out on my new Remington SPS that the "adjustable" trigger really isn't what they say it is. The lowest that it will go is about three pounds, 12 ounces. It breaks cleanly and is adequate I guess, but it sure does not go down like the book aludes to. Is this normal for these to have so little adjustment?

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
For the most part these triggers are great. While they have the same array of adjustments as their predecessor, the manufacturer has placed some obstacles in the way in order to thwart the general public from getting themselves into trouble. A good trigger guy will be able to make the trigger perform, equally, with any other in it's class.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just trade it in on a Savage 12 or 112 and enjoy the eight ounce setting of the Accu-Trigger and better accuracy.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Westpac has said, get it to someone who is familiar with the gun and you can get a really great trigger out of it.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We have found that the newer Xmark pro with the "externally adjustable trigger"(one with allen screw in the trigger shoe) is NOT as adjustable as the older standard remington trigger. The expternal adjustment would not get our SPS varmint 223's to under @ 5+-# on mine and 3.5# on buddies. We actually took the external adjustment all the way out, and had to take stock apart to get to the other screws on the trigger. We were able to get 2.25# as the safe minimum. The older style would go a little less than that. By changing the spring you can go lower, but adjust at your own risk either way.

I tried a Jewel trigger one time.....I now own one!!! They come factory preset at 1# that is SAFE!!! with the ability to be safe from 3oz-3# with a safety and bolt release! They come with the spring kit to adjust to those weights, and are externally TRUELY adjustable. It will be the best $210 you EVER spend on a rifle you want to shoot well in my opinion!

thanks
224TTH

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 224TTH:
We have found that the newer Xmark pro with the "externally adjustable trigger"(one with allen screw in the trigger shoe) is NOT as adjustable as the older standard remington trigger. The expternal adjustment would not get our SPS varmint 223's to under @ 5+-# on mine and 3.5# on buddies.
thanks
224TTH

First they are not target triggers, they are sporting triggers. Second, you need to take them to someone who knows triggers. They are EVERY BIT as adjustable as the previous model, BUT, you have to know what you are doing in order to gain access to the 2nd and 3rd screw. And then you need to know what to do once you gain access.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
westpac,
If you would like to quote me please quote the entire text, not just part of it. But, yes it is in the same or better class as any other factory supplied trigger on the market without a system such as the "accu" trigger type in my opinion. Any I also agree with you that NOBODY SHOULD adjust a trigger without the use of a "qualified" gunsmith. "Qualified" is what exactly? Legally if it isnt done by a "factory authorized" smith to exact factory specifications it isnt gonna fly legally in case of a problem, but that is a whole other mess to talk about.

Yes, the Xmark pro is not a target trigger(as most experienced shooters will know)and, I never said it was. The gentleman ask about adjusting it and I told him my experiences with it. That the external adjustment was not satisfactory to myself and others in end result. This has been my experience with several of them. I said that if you take the stock off you can gain MORE adjustment than the external adjustment allows and advertises by "adjusting" screws that are "sealed" to prevent tampering. I also said at your own risk in adjusting the factory trigger. That risk is one of the reasons that I suggested the jewel as a safer alternative than just arbitrarily turning screws on the factory trigger. And just cause you saw how to adjust one on the net does not make it right OR safe when an unexperienced individual does it.

Therefore, I suggested the Jewel varmint trigger as a great alternative for hunting. It can be adjusted up to 3# in the "varmint" model and down to 3oz with all the safety features that the factory trigger posses, but I feel MORE safety than the factory trigger allows at the 3-3.5# and under range. A trigger in the 2.5-3# range seems in my experience to be a good all around weight to use for hunting of game from big game to varmints. Local conditions, personal experience, game being hunted, etc can and will change ones thoughts and feelings on triggers.

thanks
224TTH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your input. I am not dissatisfied with the trigger. I was just making sure that it was not this particular gun that was having an issue. This is not a varmint gun, but a big-game gun. The trigger is plenty light for its job. The gun will shoot 139 Hornadys into essentially one hole. I also have a pre-accutrigger Savage and it is a good shooter, but this rifle will out shoot it. It will be going with me to Newfoundland this fall for a moose.

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an SPS in .308 that had a trigger job by a local smith. It breaks very nicely at 2 3/4 lbs.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote