New
Find
Notify
Tools

M77 ruger LOTT ramps rough
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The feeding is not what I'd call smooth..Have tried diff bullet designs.Nave polished and deburred chambering ramp as much as I dare..Oh, dont get me wrong,it's quite workable,but with a force,bullet nose blunting,and case scratching that you wouldnt call slick..Any ideas??????

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've the same issue with my RSM Lott. To get really smooth IMO the RSM's are going to need a good bit of work. The Magazine box is not the right width for perfect feeding, and if you change the box you will also need to have the rails reworked etc.. I'm trying to decide if I want to mess with all that needs to be done myself or to send it off to a real gunsmith like Mark Penrod and have it done right. It's probably worth the money to send it to Penrod to have it done right.......DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm also wondering if its worth the bother..I basically consider a gun of that size and cal. single shots anyway..Shots out of guns like that after # 1 are for the most part Hale mary's

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charger,

On all my bolt-actions I routinely polish the ramp and feed lips with fine emory or sand paper to smooth/slick them up. This eliminates case scratching as they feed out of the magazine. Some rifles I've found to have fairly sharp edges on that underside of the feed lips where the cartridge makes contact with the lip. Just cut a 1"x1" piece of fine sandpaper and wrap it over the tip of your pinky finger and sand that edge under there... Same with your feed ramp (though it sounds like you've already done that part).

Good luck, hope you can sort it out yourself and get it feeding smoothly.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote