New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Fleck-Stone project
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since I was able to re-stock my supply of Fleck-Sone paint and there were a few varmit rigs that were just sitting around we started a couple of new projects.
I have had this Custom Shop Carbon fiber 223 for awhile and thought since there has been a ton of snow lately that this one should blend in with the current weather conditions.

I prepped the stock and then gave it a coat of flat white and then finished with the Fleck-Stone "Soapstone" color"

The gun is topped off with a Nightforce 3.5-15 Varmit

Next project later today will be another Remington/H-S stock in Hunter Green

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks awesome. I think my next one is going to be green or tan.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very pretty Jimmy clap

Now are ya gonna put a skull and cross bones sticker on it Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I like the color thumb

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started doing a few like that several years ago. The best looking one being an old bolt 22. What do you seal yours with?

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I have been using Plastic-Kote satin clear to seal the finish. It seems like it is best to wait a week or so before using to give the Fleck-Stone a chance to cure.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the fleck tone have an epoxy base?

It surely looks good. I saw a Bansner rifle advertised in the Dakota rag recently that had a finish that looked like your "fleck tone".

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
You know thats kind of attractive......for paint. Nice job Jimmy!

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, This latest one is just plain "Bright", trying to think what can be added to tone it down a bit, thinking about maybe some red splatters Big Grin

Since I am now off work for a few weeks, I have some time to play with the guns, do some shooting and maybe get over to do some yote hunting with Howard.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Jimmyd223,

How durable is this finish. Do the normal rigors of hunting clip and flake the fleck off a bit?

Do you let each process cure for a few days?(Prime, Paint, Clear Coat)

How many coats of Fleck do you apply?

Do you feel this will work on wood?

I've prepred and painted designs on less than desirable wood stocks w/ pretty good success by stripping, sanding, prime, paint, and seal. This fleck type of finish would allow me to get away from stencils etc as it gives a desirable look as it is.

Thanks

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've used fleck-stone on a few wood stocks, and it has adhered and held up fine. If you have a beater mil stock, and need to fill misc gauges, paint hides all sins Big Grin

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader, This stuff is really tough, plus it is a snap to touch up if and when it does get dinged up. The scrapes just fill in so its not like having to mask and touch up.
I have only used it on the wood base of my varmit call and it has banged around in the back of the pickup for a couple years and still looks as good as new. Just scuff up the wood and give her a shot, seems like it took a couple of coats on the wood though.
The biggest thing I have found is letting the paint cure long enough between coats, seems to take forever in my cold shop.

They make two types of this paint, one is Fleck-Stone and the other is Stone-touch, both by Plastic-Kote. I much prefer the Fleck-Stone as is seems to flow and cover better. Hope this helps and show us some pictures when ya get it done.