Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need a gunsmith near Omaha NE
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone tell me of a gunsmith within 50 miles of Omaha that could chamber, headspace and blue a barrel that I want to put on a M98?

Thanks
CJ

Posts: 11 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are three gunsmiths within 50 miles of Omaha that I am aware of. One is in Fremont (Cylinder & Slide). They mainly work on handguns, though. They also have a very long lead time, are very expensive, and only do so-so work. I have used them twice and won't do it again.

Another one is on south 84th Street in Papillion (Gunsmithing Specialties). A fairly short lead time, expensive, but the work they did was OK. I have used them once and there is nothing that would keep me from using them again.

There is a fairly new gunsmith in Springfield, about 20 miles south of Omaha on 144th Street (Kelley Restoration & Repair). He has a short lead time, is reasonably priced, and the work was good. I used him once and would go back.

There are a couple of garage-butcher, so-called-gunsmiths in town. One of them ruined the barrel on a shotgun when he was trying to install a sight. He said that he was really better at swapping 1911 parts -- after screwing up. I had to have the barrel shortened (no choke now) and a new sight installed. Stay away from them. If they cannot make a job of it, they are not good enough to make a job of it.

Posts: 212 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CJ,

Mike Schlereth here in Lincoln is good. Not cheap, not real fast, but good and honest and a perfectionist.

I have heard good things about a gentlemen in Grand Island in the same building as Swedes Gun Shop but I have not used him and of course he is more than 50 miles away. I can get you more info if you'd like though.

One of the best benchrest/long range gunsmiths in the world is in Pella, IA, a gentlemen named Gordy Gritters. He's not the guy for the project you described, but as an FYI.

Hey Jeff, AKA Nebraska, what say you? Organize a Omaha gun nut dinner, will ya?

R

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up northeast of Grand Island and I spent alot of time at Swedes Gun Shop. Never had them work on anything, but I have seen his work and it is good. Really nice people there. Might be wroth the drive.

Posts: 30 | Location: mitchell,sd | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Any idea what this should cost me?

Posts: 11 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote