New
Find
Notify
Tools

sling stud on an AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If one has an AR rifle with a "plastic" type of carbine forend that has a lot of vent holes in it, is there a way to install a sling stud? I want it for a Harris bipod install.

Thanks

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Sure, make a metal plate contoured to fit the inside radius of the tube, with a hole tapped in it to screw the stud into. I've done several.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks John.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to make one, Harris makes an AR 15 bipod/stud adapter that is pretty much what was described above.

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made my own plate out of alum was't hard.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
appreciate all the help!

NRA Patron member

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you this, with all the aftermarket tactical crap you can buy for an AR you don't really need to make anything. Other then if the part you want is expensive for what it is. Then make it.

I have an AR and so does my younger brother. We wanted single point sling adapters for the buffer tube. Holly crap $30 to $50 for stamped piece of sheet metal. No way. I took a set of Uncle mikes sling swivels and cut the head of the stud. Welded that to the existing plate and used some cold blue on the weld. Total cost for both was $15 plus about thirty minutes of my time.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
If one has an AR rifle with a "plastic" type of carbine forend that has a lot of vent holes in it, is there a way to install a sling stud? I want it for a Harris bipod install.

Thanks

I took a cheap picatinny rail, screws, washers, nuts and attached them to the lower hand guard.

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A floater hand guard will enhance accuracy.
Then attach your sling swivel stud/bipod.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just talk to your gunsmith about it?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote