THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    various scope mounts compared, well actually two.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

various scope mounts compared, well actually two.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

Is there any real value in the EAW Pivot scope mounts over say the Talley QDs? There is a significant difference in cost.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Talley mounts, but I can say that EAW are excellent; their bigger advantage are that you can totally adjust them to compensate any misalignement between the mount holes and the axis of the barrel, in order to limit the offset of the scope mechanism; they don't put any stress on the scope tube and no bend is possible. Furthermore one can easily put some pitch on the scope, to compensate for long distance shot. They definitely return to zero. Unfortunately they are high and expensive. 4 of my 5 rifles have EAW mounts; the fifth has no mounts on it Wink

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'll second Wildboar, having had 5 EAW's so far and to my complete satisfaction.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another serius advantage of the EAW mount is the asymetric split of the rings, witch in 99% of all 30mm mounts gives a far better grip on the tube, by making 4 deep dents in the scopetube.. And in the most effective situations, also make the tube oval.
As long as you don't plann on mooving the scope, you'll never notice this unique feature

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
Another serius advantage of the EAW mount is the asymetric split of the rings, witch in 99% of all 30mm mounts gives a far better grip on the tube, by making 4 deep dents in the scopetube.. And in the most effective situations, also make the tube oval.
As long as you don't plann on mooving the scope, you'll never notice this unique feature

CLASSIC!

There are some advantages to both. I will not have a rifle that the mounting dovetails or scope base mounts are not aligned properly on. Therefore I prefer for my base/ring combo to NOT allow windage compensation. Therfore, I far prefer Talley's. If elevation is a true concern, e.g. long distance shooting, then I would simply purchase bases that were machined to the elevation I desired, probably gunsmithed from Talley blanks.

Good shooting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lotta parts in the EAW.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote