Find
Notify
Tools

700 rebarrel question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I ended up with a couple of 30-06 based 700's and want to rebarrel to a 300 Win and 375 H&H.

I have never gone from standard to magnum, other than typical bolt face/extractor stuff if I am planning on using the AICS magazine system do I need to do anything to the bottom of the action?

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, you shouldn't have to as the Accuracy International mags are straight line ram feed. You will have to open the bolt faces up, solder in rings and convert them to a different extractor.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right; the AICS magnum boxes are single stack, straight feed and do not rely on the receiver for anything related to feeding, except the ramp.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
It would be much easier and more cost effective to trade those actions for magnum actions.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
It would be much easier and more cost effective to trade those actions for magnum actions.

Some times it is, sometimes it isn't. I convert a lot of -08/-06 bolt faces here. Not because I'm cleaning up the action, or I think the Sako extractor is better. In my opinion the Sako is a weaker extraction system.

The problem here is that people buy one short action in something small for coyotes and fun. A medium -08 or -06 platform for deer and a great big honkin ass magnum for the rare instance they go for Moose, Elk and Bear. The big guns and the little guns never seem to get sold or traded. But, guys are forever trading and selling the medium format stuff so they're cheap and plentiful. Lots of times the only way I can find a magnum action is to buy a new one and cannibalize it. Quite often its cheaper for me to buy a beater -06 or -08 off the used rack of one of the shops and convert it over.

I guess a lot of it depends on your location as to what is cheap and readily available. Here, little guns like 243s and 22-250s and bigass, blasimicators last about 30 seconds on the used rack. If you're lucky enough to find one.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True here too, fueled by the fact that the 30-06 is by far the most produced caliber; hence the most common action. But easily converted to something else too. I never buy bare actions; used rifles are cheaper.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote