THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

your opinion on rifle rests - 1 piece or 2???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I gave away my front rest to a dear friend and need to replace it. Well, maybe. I have always used a traditional front rest and leather rear bag for all of my shooting. I need to sight in some rifles in the next few weeks and am wondering if I should get another front rest, or if I should venture into the world of one piece rifle rests. I was looking at the Caldwell Lead Sled Plus or the Lead Sled DFT.

I never liked the one piece units for a couple of reasons, but now due some physical limitations a rest system that is heavy and easier on my shoulder is looking quite attractive.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

If you use, or have used, a 1 piece rest, do you think it let you shoot the same sized groups that you would have gotten by using a standard bench rest 2 piece approach?

Thanks!

skunk out

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot rimfire benchrest a couple of years ago, there were guys who outshot me with both one-piece and two-piece rests; my own is a homemade one-piece rest. I usually sight rifles in with the fanny pack I carry in the field, as the rest.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14631 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a traditional front rest and rear bag. I tried a couple of the one piece "lead sled" versions. Couldn't warm up to them at all. But, in your situation a one piece might be just the ticket . Maybe somebody could loan you one so you could take it out for a test drive.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
One thing anyone with even a slight disability has to face is that their needs HAVE likely changed from whatever they were before the disability began.

There is no shame attached to that. None of us intentionally becomes even the smallest bit disabled, for even the shortest while. It's all part of life. Eventually, we all become totally disabled permanently and don't even breathe on our own anymore.

So, my comments are as follows: For me, I get the best accuracy from a semi-traditional front rest (Ransom) and rear (Bald Eagle) rest. BUT, if I had a problem where I DID need some assistance from the rest in either holding the rifle or attenuating the recoil, I wouldn't hesitate to use a one piece rest, even a weighted one that "C-clamps" to the rifle.

I might or might not be able to adapt my shooting style to still get really top accuracy, but I am certain it would be a heck of a lot better accuracy than I would get without any bit of help I might need.

I repeat, there is no shame in facing the truth and dealing with it like a man. Assess your situation and go for it with God's speed and the wind at your back.

BTW, if you go to benchrest.com, you'll see some rests there which are neither one piece nor truly two piece. They are a bit pricey, but lots of benchrest shooters use them in competition, with pride rather than embarrassment.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ac-

have spent a hell of a lot of time chewing on your post ever since i first read it. the more i think about what you said, the more sure i am that you are pointing me down the proper path.

it is one of those deals like when after breaking my back last year my neurosurgeon politley let me finish telling him how is used to pop back and recover from extreme injuries in record time. after i finished he said, "but mr. stokeld, you are not 20 years old any more." even though it made me want to bend him over my knee and spank him, i realized he was right.

everything i do every day is a compromise. i was fixing to order a sinclair frotn rest, but after chewing on your post and just seeing how it felt in my gut after spending soem time with your words i realised that yes, i need to take stock of what is what. it is what it is and i need to deal with it in the best way possible. in this case that means a lead sled. the only question now is which one - i have it narrowed down to the dft or the fcx model.

thanks to those who responded and ac, thank you very much for putting it in the proper perspective for me and my situation. you literally saved me a world of hurt!

owe ya one podna.

skunk out

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
You are more than just welcome, Marc, it was hard for me to be that blunt with you, as I truly feel from our past dealings that you are both a good man and a good friend.

As you know I am at the same point in the physical condition of my life as you, so I hoped you would take it as I meant it...helpful advice to a real Pal.

Hope you continue to get better and have years of good shooting left.

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
M S, Have you ever shot from one of the lead sleds. I have some severe spinal problems, have had my neck broke also, and can't take much pounding. I have tried the sleds, and for me they don't shoot the same as shooting from bags. I have dealt with the recoil when shooting from a bench by buying a Past strap on recoil pad. I just don't feel the punishment at all. When hunting I usually have enough clothing on that a shot or two does not bother me. If you know someone with a sled, I would recommend trying before buying.
James

J.R.

Posts: 19 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JR-

when you say the 1 pice is different, do you mean it is hitting to a different point of aim and would make the scope adjustments wrong?

i shot on one a few times several years ago. i rememebr after 2-5 rounds i told my buddy to get the sand bags and finished shooting with them. i really don't remember why i did not like it or anything about it. it has been several years

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,
As you probably know I have had 5 neck and back surgeries. I still have not regained the full use of my left hand. I still much prefer a 2 piece rest. I had a lead sled and couldn't get the point of aim to be the same. They can also be hard on the scope retical.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Marc, yeah that was it, same as Butch, just could not get it to group to the same spot as bags, plus my neck is pulled forward and fused solid from arthritis and the sled was very awkward for me to get my eye into the scope. Also like Butch I kind of got the impression it might be hard on the scope.
J.R.

J.R.

Posts: 19 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Dick Miller one-piece rests several years ago. It just looks like a flat plate with the front standard BR rest on it, and the back is similar.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote