New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installing Mannlicher nosecap
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just received a pair of Mannlicher nose caps and have a question since I have never installed one before.

They both came with a machine screw and nut, but I anticipated that this would be a screw going into the wood. In other words, I’m presuming the “ears” are intended to come up a little bit past 90 degrees on the barrel in order to hold it in place and prevent the forearm from flexing away from the barrel. I figured that the nosecap would be the last part to go on – sliding on at the end to secure the muzzle with a wood screw holding it in place. Because if these ears wrap around at all you couldn't drop the barrel straight in from the top.

If a through hole was drilled, and a nut installed from the barrel channel side to secure the nosecap in place on the stock, how would one get the barrel in position? Would you slide it forward into place and count on tolerances giving you enough slop to keep the action elevated slightly until the recoil lug, trigger, and other protrusions are in a position to drop into place? Because I hope to keep tolerances tighter than that…

I'm thinking I should just toss the screws it came with?

Hey, that was my 1000th post! Don't I get a gift card or something? Cool

Thanks.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct , I have the sides come up and around the barrel .
I epoxy the nut or make a plate that is threaded and epoxied .
The action is installed , then slide the cap on and screw on .
It's the way I do it , don't know of another way except cross pinning .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, like that; with a nut in the wood in the barrel channel. I have also used a wood screw, screwed into epoxy reinforcement. Not just wood.
You are a winner today; just wait by the mail box for your prize.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was overthinking things and didn't consider simply embedding and epoxying the nut in the stock. That's a good idea, thanks!

I waited by the mailbox all day and my prize never came... Confused

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Keep waiting; your reward will come.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course to get your prize you'll have to
send in Taxes first. Oh yeah, mail it to Dubai.

Cheers,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6014 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ijust did one..I inletted a small indent for a threaded plate, slipped on the fitted nose cap and screwed the blued bolt in to secure the cap.marked it and cut off the extension..I opted not to use glass as I might want to remove it someday. However my nose cap had a partial over the top piece of steel in front of the front ramp to further secure it..It looks great and is functional..Many such early manlichers used this nosecap

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote