New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 extractor
 Login/Join

<waldog>
posted
On my 700 bolt face there is the small extractor claw and the a spring loaded button which flips the case out. Anyhow, this little button gets full of brass bits after about 15 rounds. Suddenly, the rifle becomes a single shot bolt action.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone else have a solution?

The first time this happened, I cleared away the tiny brass flecks with a small allen wrench I had along. 2minutes and I was back in business. But after today, there seems to be some brass lodged deeply preventing the ejector button from proceeding forward. At any rate I can't seem to remove the holdup with a needle and oil. [Mad]

help!

ps. Is this why some folks put Sako Extractors on Rem 700's?

[ 06-10-2002, 07:44: Message edited by: waldog ]

<DuaneinND>
posted
The edge of the ejector button is too sharp. Remove it and "break" the top edge with some grit cloth or a smooth file- making a very slight radius- if the problem persists afterwards-How HOT are you loads?

<waldog>
posted
No, the edges of the button are radiused and smoothed already. Hummmmmm.....? Oh, and it's doing this with factory rounds. Winchester 45gr 22-250 CPX-1.

Anymore thoughts on this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
waldog,

Rem 700 extractor sometimes position themselves a little bit to low. This results in the section of the extractor above the angled or chamfered section engaging the case rim.

This in turn often shaves lots of brass off and also it can cause a "resistance" when you close the bolt.

That is where the brass comes from. I would suggest you remove the ejector pin and then fully clean out.

And yes it is one good reason to have the Sako extractor installed.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Call Brownells and buy a new ejector. This is the simplest fix. Otherwise I'd install a sako extractor .-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
Do you have a headspace gauge? I have run accross a couple of new rifles with too little headspace, and shaving brass everytime you close the bolt. One other thing to check- can you push the ejector button below the bolt face, sometimes the spring or the tail of the ejector are too long to allow the button to be depressed far enough for clearence.
If the extrator is shaving the brass you will see the gouge line in the extractor groove, and if it does not flex out of the way far enough you will see a mark on the rim where it digs in before sliding over.
Oh and just because the ammo is "factory" doesn't mean it is right, there have been alot of recalls of late.
www.duanesguns.com

[ 06-12-2002, 07:13: Message edited by: DuaneinND ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had this same problem with a Model 700 .308. The ejector would stick in the hole due to brass chips clogging up the hole. In my case it was not a rough ejector that was the problem but a small burr at the edge of the ejector hole.

Think about it. What is getting clogged up? The ejector hole. A burr at the circumference of that hole would naturally shave brass chips right into that hole and only when the ejector itself is pushed in by a chambered cartridge.

The solution was pretty easy � I had a gunsmith lightly polish the edge of the hole � do NOT radius it, just polish it, and lightly polish the entire bolt face at the same time. Obviously �lightly� is the key word as you do not want to alter the headspace.

Hope this is of some help.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote