New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 64 Replacement Stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Pre 64 .375 Mag and need to replace the stock with a composite stock. What do you recommend?

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had 42 P-64s and three of these were .375s plus I have one custom .375 carbine on a P-64 action. I have used Clifton. Brown, Pacific Research, Borden-Rimrock and McMillan stocks on mine, about 20 or so and find that McMillan makes the best overall synthetic handles.

I like the original P-64 MC pattern on my custom .375 and find it very nice under recoil; I love the Borden-Rimrocks on my nicest pair of matched .338 Alaskans and my pair of .375-.300 H&H originals and also like the Browns, mine are older ones.

Right now, I would call "Hill Country Sports" and ask if they would sell you one of their blanks in their styling, made by Micky, inletted for the P-64. I have one inletted for the Dakota 76 on my Dakota .338WM, installed by Ralf Martini's shop and really like it.

So, go with a Micky and I think that you will be very pleased.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.oregunsmithinllc.com
I have my own shop and work there on Fridays making stocks. You can ship to me or Oregunsmithing. Same price and stock, you can check out the styles and colors on the above website.

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I am considering alternatives...

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I would recommend finding a smith that does stock fitting and have him make (or modify an off the shelf) stock to fit you. It costs a few hundred dollars more than an off the shelf but the fit and reduction in perceived recoil is worth every penny.
After all, if they only made pants with 34 waist and 32 inseam and you were 6'2" and weigh 200lbs would you just wear them as-is?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Echol's Legend, is my favorite by far.

HBH