New
Find
Notify
Tools

CRYING SHAME
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last week I was in the gunsmiths area in the back of a local gun store and saw several boxs of miscellaneous gun parts . I asked about it and was informed that since the owner was about to be paid a visit from the ATF for an inspection, they were "taking all this stuff" off of inventory by taking it to the local Police station for disposal. What caught my eye was a Banner Mauser receiver and several other mauser receivers. the Banner Mauser had no bolt, but several other mauser actions had bolts and bottom metal. I went back in today to make them an offer on the Banner Mauser receiver and was informed that every thing was at the Police Station. So- I took myself to the Cop shop and got to talk to the "property clerk". She took my name and phone and informed me that she would talk to the Chief and inform him of my interest. We'll see.
To me, it is a travesty to trash perfectly good parts like these. All the mauser parts have value, and I am sure that all could be found a grateful home. I have been dealing with this store for over forty years, but methinks those days are over. Rant over. Mori

Posts: 59 | Location: northern CA | Registered: 28 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mori, it seems that perhaps the feds have received orders for a different agenda. My favorite local dealer has experienced a distinct difference in his treatment during this year's inspection, and the word has gone out about the new ATF agent and his A) embarrassing ignorance of the law and B)obvious antagonism and extreme nit-picking toward not only the dealers but also the citizens. It's possible that your dealer just wanted to avoid any possible unpleasantness, but it's a fact that many small dealers have lost or relinquished their licenses recently after visits by the feds.

Just please make sure that YOUR books are in order, we'd hate to lose you!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mori, I sent you a PM.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote