New
Find
Notify
Tools

J.C.Higgins Mod. 50 (FN)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know what years these were sold by Sears and if they can be dated by the serial number?

Thanks, Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 1951. Early part of the '50s I think. There is a sears part number site but I cant find it.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, GSP7. I'm trying to find out if they qualify for C&R.

Anyone else?

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the C&R qualify again ? 50 years old?

I think I got burned on my last transfer. It was a 1940 rifle.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes, 50 yrs old or other collectable firearms like pre 64 winchesters and various commemoratives.

Rojelio

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rojelio . Time to find a new transfer guy for me. You would not beleive what I got charged for my last transfer. Seems I like only 50+ year old rifles anyway!

Id say all m50's are over 50 years old. They're older than 1956-57.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All of mine have what I think is a date stamped on the receiver below the wood line like 1948, 1951, etc

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Thanks Rojelio . Time to find a new transfer guy for me. You would not beleive what I got charged for my last transfer. Seems I like only 50+ year old rifles anyway!

Id say all m50's are over 50 years old. They're older than 1956-57.

I just picked up a rifle from my transfer guy last night. The bill was $10.75. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

I just picked up a rifle from my transfer guy last night. The bill was $10.75. Smiler

Man did you get bent over! animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just looked them up and they DO NOT quallify for C&R statis.I had 2 of them my dad bought from Western Auto in the late 1950,s for $55 a piece,in 270 cal. They also had chrome lined barrels and were real shooters. The actions alone sell for $350-400.now due to a writer wrting about them.They us to be sleepers and could pick them up at shows. Now try and find one,thanks to writers. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by van:
Just looked them up and they DO NOT quallify for C&R statis.I had 2 of them my dad bought from Western Auto in the late 1950,s for $55 a piece,in 270 cal. They also had chrome lined barrels and were real shooters. The actions alone sell for $350-400.now due to a writer wrting about them.They us to be sleepers and could pick them up at shows. Now try and find one,thanks to writers. van

Rojelio & Van -

I'd bet the reason they are not on the C&R list is that no one has asked BATF to add them to the list since they turned 50 years old.

Sure, I could be wrong, but I suspect if one of you simply wrote ATF and asked that they be added, they would be. Since BATF doesn't track which guns are about to turn 50 (or have reached that age in recent years) and may be relatively rare and desirable, they won't get around to doing it without a little nudge...

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by van:

I have one with the Chrome lines barrel. It almost looks like somebody rubbed the bluing off the Crown of the barrel. Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/intro.htm
"WHAT ARE CURIOS OR RELICS?
As set out in the regulations (27 CFR 178.11), curios or relics include firearms which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within One of the following categories:

1.) Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;
2.) Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
3.) Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less."

Posts: 39 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
If the gun was made 50 or more years ago its a C&R!!! some guns that are also C&R which many may not know about are all pre64 70's and all model 88's regardless of the year

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote