New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 TO 30-06AI
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering were I could get my 30-06 to a 30-06AI? Who does the work? And what do they do?

Posts: 27 | Location: UT USA | Registered: 29 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a very simple job that just about any gunsmith can do. It involves using a reamer cut to the dimensions of the 06 AI, which is a slightly larger case, and making the chambere the size of the new reamer.These reamers can be rented for around $30. There are two schools of thought, one doing the reaming with the barrel still attatched to the reciever, and the other taking the barrel off the rifle. I did this myself with a .257 Roberts AI with the barrel still installed, and I am not a gunsmith, but I don't really reccomend this for the novice.I was very careful and the rifle turned out very well, and accuracy is very good.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bret

Have your rifle rechambered by a professional gunsmith who thoroughly understands the design of Ackley Improved chambers.

The barrel must be removed and machined in a lathe so that it can be set back in preparation to reaming the chamber to MINUS .004 inch head space.

The average fee in my area is $90.00.

There is a great deal of information on Ackley Improved Cartridges on this forum if you do a search you will obtain a good deal of valuable information.

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ackley improveed chamber is to have the barrel set back like it was mentioned before , the Ackley versions usualy have a slightly shorter length to the shoulder neck junction than the parent cartrige causing a "crush fit" when the parrent case is chambered.

Now you can run the Ackley chamber in a little deeped by not removing the barrel and this will give you a Gibbs version which is simply an Ackly with a shorter neck due to the shoulder bieng pushed forward which will give you slightll more case capacity than the AI.

Posts: 18 | Location: S. Louisana | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Brett,

I have an AI 257 Roberts, I thought about having it done to my 06 but I think I will spend the money trying different powders and developing loads instead. If you dont already have one, get a chronograph first instead. That tool alone can help your handloads as much as an improved chamber easily. Without carefull load delopment with an AI version, there isnt enough difference to make it worthwhile, but if you do take the time you can gain a slight velocity edge which is nice.

If you decide to do it I can refer you to a quality 'smith in the SLC area with reasonable prices. He did a good job on my 257. Nice tight chamber.. [Wink]

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the Gibbs version has a different shoulder angle and less taper then the Ackley version, as well as the shorter neck. Good advice all around though. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
since you are in utah take it to Ed lamborn. He learned his stuff from ackley himself, I sure he would know as much as anyone on improved cartridges, to my knowledge is also quite resonable on price too

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your replies and help.

Posts: 27 | Location: UT USA | Registered: 29 September 2003Reply With Quote