New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Extractor - Model 70 Push Feed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can a Sako type or other extractor be installed on a Model 70 push feed? I've got two that shoot great and was wondering if this could be done. Reading posts about how weak this extractor is got me thinking.

A follow up question: is the Win push feed extractor weak? I've had no problems so far. It's been a while since I read the posts, but I remember most of the negative posts coming from one or two people. Please don't get into comparisions with the pre-64 design...I know that's a different animal.

Thanks
Jeff

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe the push feed Winchester extractor is any weaker than any other in a push feed action . The Winchester action is fairly popular with high-power match shooters and reportedly they hold up pretty well .

I have had no problems with the extractor in three different M-70 push feeds . And if you did have a problem , it is very easy to replace the parts , unlike some other push feeds ........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
There would be NO benifit to installing a sako extractor on a M70 push feed.

<Don Martin29>
posted
Alright, I am the one who broke one. It was on a M-70 Featherweight that was I think just pre-USARC. I chambered a reloaded 30/06 from another rifle and the bolt would not close easy so tried to lift it but could not by hand so I closed it and fired the round. Then they open easy. When the bolt was opened the extractor, spring and plunger fell into the magazine.

I looked at the extractor and it broke on the thin part that goes into the dovetail in the bolt. Now this part of the extractor is .050" thick which is the same as the rim on a 30/06 yet the extractor broke and not the rim!

As I recall the metal on that extractor did not seem to be made from a stamping or a milled part. I might accuse it of being a powdered metal part. Let Winchester say it's not?

I called Winchester and they were nice and sent me a new one right away. It's easy to put it in.

I sold the rifle.