New
Find
Notify
Tools

cheap tig welder?
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
what do ya'll think of this, for gunsmithing and kitcar making?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3805756171&category=57039

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso,
IMHO, these small welders are junk. I was given this advice when I bought a 230V Lincoln unit set up to use argon/CO2. It has been good, but, in retrospect, I wish I had bought a MillerMatic 35. Now there's a class machine. Bob

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont know of that welder but my impression is its junk. 20-80 amps? You cant weld sh*t with that.
I agree Miller is the way to go. If your going to spend some money dont waste it, get something with at least 200 amps or more.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Jeffe
My father and brother do quite a bit of welding.(both work at a paper mill same as me and we build cars and such also) We weld at work and at home. We have done alot with a mig welder(wire feed) but are looking at a tig now. We tig weld what we need at work at the moment.
I work with quite a few welders who have machines at home. They have helped us come up with what we want. If you are interested I can give you the model # and ect. Its more than that small one but is a nice machine.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thanks for the feedback.. which is why i asked for it...

glad i didn't waste the money!!

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a Miller 180 SD Runner last summer and I'm real happy with it, not cheap. I have welded a couple of bolt handles with it, I used about 110 Amps. I think 80 Amps would work for multiple pass, but I like to single pass it.

Posts: 58 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was getting my TIG welding done very cheap.
Now he sold it.
I guess I have to buy one.

What is the best TIG welder deal for gunsmithing?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tonto, what is your recommendation?

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im became a certified welder 25 years ago and have worked in shops with diferent brand welders lincoln , miller etc . The Miller welder run and weld smoother than lincolns and are just better I think. I have a Millermatic 200 mig . I dont have a tig welder of my own yet.

If you want to be sure you get a good welder .Id get a new Miller catalog and pick what you think you need from that. I would spend the money and get a good Miller welder. You will be glad you did in the long run. Or you can skimp and get a cheap one . What ever you decide.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm curious, how do you rate the Miller EconoTig, 135 AMP I believe?

We got it with all the other equipment here recently, wondered what it was worth, and how it rated to others for gun work and some other stuff.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, they are rated at 160A for DC. The Miller EconoTig runs about 1.3-1.4K $. Love to have a tig welder.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
We are looking at a Lincoln precision tig 185 < !--color--> . Its a little much for just gun work but we also mess with cars , tractors and ect. It has some nice features(micro start and pulsing helps us guys who dont weld every day do a better job) and its the smallest you can get the watercooled option for. My father wanted that he is retired now and spends alot of time working in the shop. If it was for me I would drop a size.
Dean
It costs about $1500 three of us are going in on it.

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember......you can weld thin stuff with a big tig, but you can't weld thick stuff with a small machine. Unless you have other welders to handle thicker material, don't downsize to save money. If you start doing any aluminum with AC, you will need every amp you can get.

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Notice how it says can't do aluminum? That's because it doesn't have a high frequency generator in it. I would never buy a tig that I couldn't weld non ferous metals with,(aluminum, Magnesium). It's a weakling as well!

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i'll be fair... while I aint gunna buy this machine, I wouldnt have AL and MG welding as MY requirements...

jeffe

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Jeffe if you wont be welding alum and mag then buy yourself a good ac/dc arc welder and get the tig gas setup to hook into it. Here in the mill the pipers use them that way all the time. I use the freq box hooked into one of my 2 arc welders but its just using the gas bottle and gas sol. most of the time as the freq box is only on when welding alum.
Dean

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
What are the main advantages of TIG over MIG? Does the TIG keep the heat more concentrated while welding so it doesn't effect the surrounding metal? Wouldn't you have to re heat treat after welding on a bbl or action anyway?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
A good TIG welder can control heat and puddle size in steel or stainless like you would not believe. The only thing I know of that is better would be electron beam welding but that gets a little pricey.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gents,
TIG(tungsten inert gas) welder minimum requirements;
Hobart or Miller (lincoln for SMAW -stick welding)
300 AMP AC,DC Straight & Reverse polarity.
High Frequincy Unit-for arc stability in AC & start control in DC.
Contactor control relays.
Water cooled torch.(Weld Craft HW20)
Foot /hand control- rheostat for variable amperage control.

Never say that you'll never weld aluminum or magnesium-it pays the bills!!!!

Speaking from 30yrs experience as a current certified welder ;
TIG-tungsten inert gas welding.
MIG-metallic inet gas welding.
SMAW-shielded metal arc welding-Stick welding.
PAW-plasma arc welding.
OAW-oxy acetalene welding/brazing/silver soldering.
ACA-air carbon arc.

I'll TIG weld your bolt handles etc.etc. for $35.00 to include return USPS Priority mail/$150 insurance/delivery confirmation.

Keep your rod dry & the bullets in the X ring,
DAN

Posts: 13 | Location: Fairbanks,Alaska | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smallfry, thanks much.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I would never buy a tig that I couldn't weld non ferous metals with,(aluminum, Magnesium). It's a weakling as well!"

There is little in this world more frustrating than a CRAP welder.

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a thermal arc 200 amp DC stick machine that can also weld DC tig with an air cooled torch with high frequency start and pulse adjustments. the machine lists at about 2000 dollars, I believe Miller makes a similar machine in the 1500 dollar range.

this machine is smaller than a box of cereal, the cables weigh more than it does.

-tincan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me just put in another vote for Miller. I've had a Syncrowave 250 for about 15 years and have never had a lick of trouble with it and it has been used a lot.

I've welded everything from cylinder heads to razor blades, artificial limbs to lawn mowers and airplane parts to step ladders. While most was for clients, I don't know how people get along without a TIG.

BTW, they tell me that TIG is the hardest type of welding to master, so be prepared to practice.

While a semi-coordinated chimpanzee can be taught to MIG, the TIG, especially on aluminum, is a whole 'nuther ballgame.

Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
okay...
i took your advice...

bid on an iffy status miller, in FRICKIN HOUSTON... and some jackass used a bid bot and beat me...

I think sniping violates fairplay, but its "allowed" on ebay.. I think they should use the gunbroker 15 minute rule... if there's a bid within the last 15 mins, the bidding is extended 15mins from then.

@#$@#$@% thing was 15 mins from work... this guy has to pay shipping to the NE... shesh,... and it was in UNKNOWN condition...... (assumed to work)

just venting, dang it

jeffe

posted Hide Post
Brent I bought the Miller EconoTig in 1994 new and have been very happy with it. I use it for welding on bolt handles and repairs. I have welded alum. with it but the machine is air cooled and you must stop and wait for a while or you will melt the cables. I am a fabricator, welder since 1964 and have used old worn out and cheap welders in some shops I worked at. Not worth the time to buy cheap.

This machine may not be what the other guys want but since I was retired 15 hundred is all I could afford and the Miller works well for me.

The Miller EconoTig cost me new $1,500.00 it has payed for it self and I have no problems with it. Gool luck with your choice in tig welders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Miller Maxstar 150 a few years ago and have not looked back. It will not weld aluminum as it is not high freq but it does have high freq arc start which is a real deal compared to a scratch start. I have no need to weld aluminum.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote