Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hogue overmolded rifle stocks
 Login/Join

posted
Anybody tried one of these? What do you think? Is the aluminum bedding channnel worth doubling the price? ($135 becomes $260) I'm going to be using it on a mauser in 375 Whelen AI.

Thanks.

Eric

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I put one with full bedding block on my Lothar Walther rebarreled .338 Win Mag Win 70 and have nothing to complain about. The rifle is accurate (.75 MOA for 5 shots) and the stock really soaks up recoil. During testing I discovered 2 peculiarities however :
1. contrary to the wooden stock, the Hogue shoots best with all 3 screws very tight (must have to do with the bedding block) ;
2. I have to drape a rag over my front rest, otherwise the rubber sticks and drags the pedestal along in recoil.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will the Hogue overmolded marked "winchester model 70 long action" properly fit a magnum action such as the 416 rem? Or will some material need to be clearanced for the action / barrel to fit properly ? Thanks - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've got two of them, (with the f.l. bedding block). One is on a Remington BDL 30-06. It was a snug drop in fit. The other is a Husqvarna M98 9.3x62. Another snug drop in fit, but the barrel channel had to be relieved a bit. My experience with them has been very good; very stable and they feel "warm" in the hands.

I don't know about your Model 70 fitting question.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a SS rem 700 in 375 H&H in a Hogue stock (without Alum block). I does just fine. I had to knock the recoil lug per the instuctions to get it to center in stock. I took the hogue recoil pad off mine and added 1/2" spacer and sims pad for my long LOP. I have ran quite a few rounds through it.

If recoil is a factor, I would get the alum to get a little more weight. The only thing I would be concerned about would be the barrel channel, they are molded for factory barrel. Not sure how much room there is for large barrel dia.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My Lothar Walther bbl. has their # 1450 contour, it tapers from .87" to .7" at the muzzle. My order to Hogue was :
code 07013
Win 70, Long Action
Heavy barrel
Full Bedding Block.
Perfect drop fit and there's still .1" clearance around the bbl.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote