New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77 mark 1 Magazine box Lip- HELP?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took my ruger 77 mark 1 Tang safety 220 swift rifle apart today and cleaned and oiled the barrel underside up & checked for rust,it needed a good wipeing down,,,well i forgot how to put the magazine box back in? It has a little lip on the front small end and the only way i could get it all together is to put the lip on top into the feed ramp,is this correct?
I didnt see any other way it will fit?
I dont have another Mark 1 77 tang safety to compare it too....& this is my first time takeing a ruger 77 outta the stock!
I checked it and it feeds fine,i did notice my mark2 77 rifles do not have a lip on them feeding into the feed ramp...is this some older style of Ruger boxs?
Also the rifle has allways hung up if i load 5 rounds,the other 4 stay down,if i just load 4 down they all feed fine,any ideas on what to do to fix this minor problem besides just load 4 rounds?
Also my trigger is not the best/to much creep,which brand is the best to buy for a older ruger tang safety 77 rifle??Thanks for any help patriot
I got to get this baby"EMMYLOU" shooting,shes a sweetie!

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BBH,
I have a bunch of Mk I's. Pull your magazine box out. At one end there is a welded on strip, or in a few cases a seam. That goes to the rear (toward the trigger). There are two notches on the bottom side. The wider one goes to the back, the narrower one to the front. The magazine is wide end to the rear, narrow end to the front. The top front end is the narrow end with the largest cut out. The rear of the top has what looks like two vee shaped notches, one at either side. The two beveled in edges go to the top.
I put the barreled action in the stock, then insert the box from underneath, attach the trigger guard with the rear screw. Then the magazine cover with the front angle screw. Last goes the small screw in front of the trigger guard.
can't be much help on the feeding problem. I have had to have a few smoothed up to feed right.
One of the great things about Mark I's is the adjustable trigger. I've put Timneys on ones I couldn't get to my standards.
Hope that helps
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks blackfly,does your boxs have the little rounded lip on the small end towards the front of the rifle?I cant get the box up thru the stock with the lip hanging out there,if it goes to the bottom theres a hangup and the metal will not go down flush enough with the wood,and theres a divit bump/ramp thingie on the bottom of the action on the front that will prevent it from laying flush witht he bottom of the action.if any of this makes since?The fellow helping me today is a gunsmith but mainly works on 22 rifles and had never fooled with a ruger 77......Iam gonna go see if i can find some old plans/books i might have stashed away..
Thanks
bbh

one of us
posted Hide Post
My pics came out to blurry,i will try to get some better ones..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just pulled out my 22 250 and took it apart. Thought it might be the close to your Swift. That one does not have a lib on it either. Hmmmm. I have one, a 257 from 1972 that I have to put the box into the stock from the top, then put the action in, and then put the bottoms on. see if that works? If that doesn't work, I useless.
Bfly

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mines like your 72.you have to put it on then the stock,the lip keeps it from going on from the bottom because it hits in the wood,if you flip flop it,the follower plate and spring will not fit in from that side,its to narrow...We fooled with it everyway and could only get it in with the lip feeding into the feedramp,he said it was made that way to feed the bullets straight in,i just have never experianced this before and my other rugers are not that way,i also checked a mark 2 338wm and it was clean from the box to the ramp....
Thanks for the help big time! thumb
bbh

one of us
posted Hide Post
shes feeding and chucking them out fine loaded with 4 down so i want hurt it until i can get it over to my gunsmith with 50yrs.experiance,iam gonna let him work his magic on the trigger replacement and go for the best i can afford,I am gonna keep this little jewel,its a smoker of a round and fuuunnn!! dancing clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK,Ive talked myself into it,iam going to go get the screwdriver and tripple check this bad mojammie out,iaint gonna let it whip me.. hilbily

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep,the lip was right,it will not fit any other way,Iam satisfied its put together right now for sure,thanks for giving me the incentive,I can do it confidance,Iam ready to pass along some help now with that joker,hey if you gonna be dumb you gotta be tough i allways say clap
Thanks blackfly,i owe you one beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heres a couple pics of the bugger..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BBH
Glad it worked! I bet your gunsmith will do a little grind on the follower and she'll feed them all. Of course, I thought computers would be the end of the paper industry.
Bfly