New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laminate stock for model 70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking to restock my model 70 7mm mag with a laminated stock. I have become tired of the feel of plastic, and am looking for a good quality laminate with an aluminum bedding block, or at the very least, pillar bedding. I have googled until I am blue in the face, and haven't found anything that'll fit my specs. The rifle in question is a 7mm rem mag CSM with controlled round feed, and a 26 inch sporter weight barrel. I have plenty of options with synthetics, but nothing so far in laminate. It also seems that most all of the model 70 options are for the newer rifles. Mine was bought new in 1994 just after the "new" old action was re-introduced. Any guidance would be appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you've indicated, you probably aren't going to find what you're looking for. Pillar/aluminum bedding is almost always (as far as I know) "custom", specific to a specific rifle/stock combination, not suited to factory/mass production. Find a laminate you like and have it pillar bedded to your action by a competent gunsmith. Or, if you're handy, DIY.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boyds make a laminated stock that suits your purpose, but YOU will have to add pillars. I can't say I've ever heard of an aluminium bedding block being installed into a laminated stock, it's common in laid up fibreglass stocks.
A pillar bedding job is not difficult or expensive to have done, this is what I would do.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a laminate with a bedding block from Stocky Stocks. Link below.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
Have you checked out these folks??

http://www.accurateinnovations.com/

They have wood stocks with bedding block. Can be a little pricey if you go for all the bells and whistles.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I just bought a laminate with a bedding block from Stocky Stocks. Link below.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

Thanks Butch for that link, been a while since I bought anything not walnut, so I'm happy to see that bedding blocks are common place in laminated stocks.
I have favourited that link.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote