New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waffen Frankonia Wurzburg 98 Mauser?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this in the "Gun collecting" forum, but since I am going to go back and look at it tomorrow, I'm hoping someone in here might know someting about it.

I found one of these in .30-06 in local shop today. I passed but am still thinking about it. I don't know much about German guns. This gun is basically a light wt sporter configuration with barrel sights more or less like a pre-64 model 70. Nothing really wrong with it, about 80% condition, decent walnut cheek piece stock, double set trigger, .30-06, drilled and tapped for Leupold mounts. The double triggers are nice and the reason I'm still thinking about it, probably about 3 ounces when set. I can probably buy it for about $450. Opinions or advice?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you about the rifle in question, but I can give you some background on Waffen Franconia. I was stationed in Wurzburg, Germany in the mid-1970's as an Army helicopter pilot, and visited Waffen Frankonia's shop and small manufacturing facility several times.

They are primier rifle makers - everything is made in house by highly skilled craftsmen - they had 7 or 8 gunmakers then. They specialized in high-end weapons, drillings, double-rifles, and safari grade bolt action rifles.

You might want to get in touch with them concerning the value of the rifle you are considering. Don't know if they have a website, but you should be able to come up with their phone, fax, etc. on the internet.

Hope that helps.

Cpt. Jack

Posts: 83 | Location: Soda Springs, ID USA | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I thought I could knock the MC off, I would buy it.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to worry, it doesn't have a Monte Carlo, and I bought it anyway. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Capt. Jack:

Thanks for the infor, that mirrors what little information I got off the web. As I said above, I bought the gun at a very good price. It is an older version, with a converted military 98 action. The writing on the action is covered by the scope mounts but it is a nice classic rifle weighs 7 lbs 7 oz with bases and rings but no scope.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you did good.

Cpt. Jack

Posts: 83 | Location: Soda Springs, ID USA | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo - Frankonia in EU is like Cabellas in States - they were buying components from different manufacturers (like Zastava...) - assembling them and put their stamp on - you can check their site:

Frankonia

I guess they are selling their guns under the name of "Favorit" today:

Favorit

or like this R93 system with their barrel:

R93 Frankonia

...you may find more info on EU forums

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote