THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock decision is going to be the death of me!
 Login/Join

<Hondo64d>
posted
I debating between having a laminated stock from Richard's microfit or a McMillan Fiberglass stock put on my .250 AI.

My only concern is the weight. This is a short action Remington 700 BDL, that I am haveing a #2 Hart barrel put on, and I would like to keep the weight down. How much weight am I going to gain by using a laminated thumbhole stock like the one pictured vs. a McMillan Mountain Rifle stock?

I am pretty much tired of the "tactical" look, and am trying to go with something unique that I could still hunt with. I really like the way the blue looks with the stainless steel. If I go with the McMillan Mountain Rifle Stock, I am thinking about a blue marble finished one like on the 7th row of Mike Bryant's website.

John

Blue laminated

McMillan Mountain Rifle

Bryant's Photo Gallery

<STARTING BIG BORE>
posted
I just recieved 2 Richards stocks. 1 was a second A grade, very nice grain, but the inletting was not lined up very well. (action with bottom metal)
The second is a thumb hole in electric blue, very nice inletting and real interesting.(going to be heavy, but you can hog out the forearm and drill out the butt stock. The second is very lite. Hopes this helps. [Confused] [Confused]

<Hondo64d>
posted
Big Bore,

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning toward the McMillan because of the weight issue. They have a red/black marble on their website that is really sharp. It is the third one down on the attached link. It will likely be the Mountain Rifle Stock, but possibly with the color shown. It would look great with stainless!

John

red/black marble

<Sniper>
posted
I got one of the electric blue laminates last year and it finished up very nice. It is heavier than a synthetic but the look of the laminate was worth it.