New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husqvarna Rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking at a real nice huqvarna 30,06. Never owned one befor but I like this one. What is your experence with husky rifles. This on has a stock similar to a modrn featherweight model 70. It seems like a 98 mauser to me so I figure it will say bang when i pull the trigger, but is it likley to be very accurate? thanks ...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
They are probably the last "sleeper" in the American gun market. The guns are as well made as any from that era but plainer so they sell for very reasonable prices. As long as it is not abused or worn out you can't go wrong.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Plenty (dozens and dozens) of variations of Husqvarna rifles made their way into the USA, most coming in from the early 1950's to ~1970. Generally speaking, you will encounter three different action types. There was a 98 action clone, the "HVA" action, and the 1900. First two are controlled round feed/long extractor, the 1900 was a push feed. The large ring 98 actions are just what you would expect. The HVA is a small ring action. It's biggest shortcoming is that it's a unique action, therefore aftermarket stocks and triggers are not readily available. Adjustable triggers for these actions are few and far between.

There are also a lot of pre-war Swedish market Husqvarna rifles that have made it here too. The Swedes make moose hunting a near religion in their county. You will encounterquite a few 6.5x55, 30-06, 8mm, 9.3x57, and some 9.3x62 that are true Swedish rifles. The stock design is a little different that the USA market rifles, there are both M96 and M98 actions, and they seem to like the two-stage triggers.

Every Husqvarna I've ever spent time with has been accurate. I believe they used good steel and paid attention while making their barrels. The 98 versions and the early HVA actions had steel triggerguards, later productions and the 1900 stuff had alloy triggerguards.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The HVA action is really nice, but parts can be rather problematic. I had one of the lightweights in .270; while it was a great rifle, the ejector never did work right. After messing with it for a while, I let a friend trade me out of it.

And regretted it ever since of course. I do believe the HVA lightweights are better rifles than the Winchester Featherweights, and if I can ever find another one I'll carve my name on the stock with a jackknife just so no one trades me out of it.

Posts: 9 | Location: eastern Nebraska | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned a Liteweight in .308 for awhile, my Dad had a .270.... early 1960's manuf. I think.
As I remember it shot very well but only 165 gr and up. The trigger had creep and was about 6 lbs. I sold it because I was looking for a deer rifle to shoot 150 gr bullets and I only found one load that would give me 1.75" @ 100 yds plus I could not hack the trigger creep. But put a heavier bullet in it and it would cut that group in half.
Like we always say tho I wish now that I had that one back!
Overall it was a sweet little rig, I would not hesitate to buy another.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote