Find
Notify
Tools

Small ring Mauser 98 caliber change.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
This how I got my custom small ring 98 action to feed 6.5 Creedmoor cartridges when the original chambering was for 8mm Mauser. The bottom metal is one from a 1909 Argentine Mauser (7.65 Argentine). Follower is from a short action Remington 700. Magazine spacer is from a new old stock Santa Barbara action and was installed along with the follower before any rail work was attempted. The follower was an improvement over the Argentine follower. But, it was only marginal.

The wider shoulder of the Creedmoor round was binding against the rail both at the top and underneath causing a nose down situation with most rounds. Most bullets hit the forward wall of the magazine. Also, the cartridges seemed to bind " on the turn" of the bolt.

Marks were made where contact of the case was apparent plus a bit more in order to angle the taper forward.

I probably spent a few hours studying and researching before I started removing material. I probably never would have attempted this project without assistance from "making it feed" in the AR gunsmithing forum. I already had a substantial amount of cash into this project and wasn't about to proceed "in a hurry". Little bit, little bit more, easy does it.

Next came the binding. After measuring the flex of the extractor at the tip and reading Duane's "making it feed" one more time, I was certain that there was too much flex there. So, I put a thin metal washer behind the tip on the bolt face to protect it from the fine wet/dry paper and took small amounts away until the flex got to the recommended measurement. The binding of the bolt was no longer there.

A few after-pictures.
Not exactly "pretty" underneath. But, functional.

And the spacer and follower.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5173 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
probably spent a few hours studying and researching

i'll bet it was more than a few - nice work tu2

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The hours do add up quickly sifting through information. I'd do it again though. The "there it is" moment makes the time spent seem irrelevant.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5173 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote