Find
Notify
Tools

Go ahead, laugh!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought this 1903A3.

The stock is a Fajen. I didn't like the magazine cutoff area. I must be the only guy who likes the magazine cutoff as designed.

I want the magazine cutoff to be functional, like one of my other 1903's.

I started filing and sanding. I got rid of the cheekpiece. I got rid of that bit of wood in the way of the magazine cutoff.

I didn't plan ahead, and the original inletting left a big gap under the housing when I eliminated the flare.

Now what? I don't think there is enough wood to deepen the inletting all around. I have a handguard from a turkish mauser I could whittle to fit, and try to make it match. Can anyone tell me what kind of wood this is? Is it walnut?

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
OK< rotflmo lol rotflmo, thanks,I needed that.

You might use a peice of ebony or stain some Accu-glass. If anybody ask about it, just tell them it was a learning experiance.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my gun projects are learning experiences, and it shows.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cut a piece from inside the barrel channel and splice it in. If you do it right and have a very, very tightly fitting joint, 137.41 out 139 people will will never notice. The key is in how closely you can aligne the grain and how tight you make the joint. Just use regular acraglas or soem other epoxy to stick it in there

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had a 1903 I would want the magazine cutoff to work as well.

I would try the matching glass method as I think it would be stronger.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, you have given me two ideas.
If I cut out a bit of wood from under the barrel, how do I cut out? I could cut out four sides, then try to pry it out with a screwdriver. That scares me.

I have epoxied in a repair on a o/u shotgun before, I think I can handle that part, if I can get the chunk of wood out without destroying whats left.

Jason

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could drill two holes that converge in the butt and chisel out the wood between to use. Since it looks like you have that black rubber recoil pad already on the stock it would just lighten the butt by a couple ounces.

If you have a mill, set up the stock and mill out a flat area under the cutoff, it will make fitting a dutchman much easier. I would glue an oversize piece with some Elmers or tite bond wood glue, then re bed.

Nice 03 trigger guard, adds a lot. Are you going to draw file the barrel?

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RogerR:
Are you going to draw file the barrel?
/QUOTE]
I was planning to put it on a lathe and hit it with a belt sander, at a friends machine shop. I know 1903A3's are usually pretty, but this barrel is awful. It must have been a friday barrel, or someones first week on the job. There is a small smooth section right in the middle, and it looks worse than if it all had marks in it.

I still don't know if i will send it out to be blued or build a parkerizing tank.

Jason