THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to locate a part for a project...
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all, I am new to this forum and have been directed here by others elsewhere as maybe some of you can help me out.

I have been searching everywhere for a small metal part to help complete a project I am currently working on. It is a restocking of a Ruger inline Muzzleloader. I have eliminated the original barrel band in favor of a forearm screw to secure the barrel. This is via a hidden ramrod thimble in the barrel channel with a screw boss to accept a screw from under the forearm. I cannot however allow myself to use an exposed screw to secure the barrel.

What I need is a small, thin, round or oval trap door to inlet in the bottom of the forearm to hide the screw...Can someone dirrect me to where I can find such an animal? I am awaiting the arrival of the Brownell's catalog and suspect one will be in there...but I thought maybe someone here can shed some light.

Thanks in advance...

roy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownells has a small trap door grip cap...but not sure that would work. Have you looked in Dixie-Gun Works catalog and/or Numrich Arms?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No I haven't looked there...my bad.

I am hoping to talk to Fla3006 as I have obtained an inside scoop that he used one on a ruger #1 a couple years ago....I have Pm'd him.

Looking for other input while I wait...

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Roy, this is the part you asked about. Unfortunately I do not remember where I got it or who made it (seems like it may have been someone who advertised in Rifle Magazine). Perhaps someone on this forum knows?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes sir....THAT is the exact part....

I really need to locate this so if anyone can help me out with a supplier I would be very greatful!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks like you got that from Jim Wisner (PME). However, I am not sure if he is making them anymore.

Take Care,

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is the trap door one designed by Keith Heppler. I made quite a few for him and also sold them.

Yes I still have a few on hand, from the old days.

Give the office an call during the week, or drop me an email.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith
www.wisnersinc.com

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This place is awesome!

A new guy shows up looking for an unknown part that somebody might know about - and 4 hours and 27 minutes later he has a reply from the maker offering just what he needs!

AR is awesome!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
LHowell: This place is awesome!

A new guy shows up looking for an unknown part that somebody might know about - and 4 hours and 27 minutes later he has a reply from the maker offering just what he needs!

AR is awesome!

Ditto! Tremendous amount of collective knowledge & expertise, far better than reading a gun mag.
And most of all the friendships I have made through these forums.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHowell:
This place is awesome!

AR is awesome!

Well, the expertise of the whole world is available on this forum! Cool, what??

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
YES! Thank you ALL...I am very impressed! Mr. Wisner I WILL be contacting you...asap.

I look forward to hanging out here at AR...very cool place...I'm not new to the shooting or hunting world but the computer world is a big place I never spent much time in...till now.

I guess it's been a long winter...(grin).

If I can figure out how to post pics on this site I'll do so...so ya'll can see what I got going on with this part needed from Mr. Wisner.

Again thanks to AR for helping me out.

Roy

posted Hide Post
And a special thanks to you Fla3006...If it were not for your 458 Lott I wouldn't have found what I needed...

Roy

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
wildswalker: If I can figure out how to post pics on this site I'll do so...so ya'll can see what I got going on with this part needed from Mr. Wisner. Roy

Roy, here's a tutorial by Terry Carr on how to post pics: PostingPics

posted Hide Post
Ok..thanks. I'll check it out right after I email Mr. Wisner...Look for a pic later on of my project...

posted Hide Post
Here goes...

This is what I started with...a Ruger "Officers Model" 77/50 and a chunk of walnut...

posted Hide Post
Here is the inletted action after a few hours work...(grin)

posted Hide Post
This is where it is right now...

posted Hide Post
another view...it's about 95% shaped...I am waiting on locating the part mentioned above before I do any more...

posted Hide Post
What do ya'll think of this ebony widow's peek forend tip...?

plans are to finish the inlaying of the trap door...final shape and sand...apply a blue million coats of tru-oil and checker with a semi-fancy/classic pattern.

This rifle with a load of 110 grains of true weighed black powder and a 240 grain XTP will group three shots touching at 100 yards...I've killed a truck load of deer with it and a few out to around 200 yards. It's a nice rifle, I've just always hated the straight stock and wanted something a little more fancy.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Roy, that is super work. The forend tip is amazing!

One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post