Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust Bluing cast receiver?
 Login/Join

posted
Have not had much luck in past hot bluing cast shotgun receivers so do you have better luck rust bluing them? Thought since will be rust bluing the barrels anyway why not the receiver.

Thank for your input in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had some luck with rust blueing them. You just have to test it on a portion to see if it will take. Dulite makes a special hot blue http://dulite.com/dulite_94_win_oxide.html that may work. It's probably why most were color cased.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ober Gun Works:
Have not had much luck in past hot bluing cast shotgun receivers so do you have better luck rust bluing them? Thought since will be rust bluing the barrels anyway why not the receiver.

Thank for your input in advance.

I do know for a fact the post 64 Winchester 94 cast steel receivers rust blue quite nicely.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know a damn thing about metallurgy, but I would assume that its not the fact that something is cast, but rather what the composition of the material is that controls whether it will blue well or not.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That‘s true, but in order to achieve similar strength as in a forging, cast steel typically contains a higher amount of alloying elements. These do have an impact on the chemical properties of the metal and therefore, potentially, on bluing results as well.

Posts: 164 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cast frames like the older SxS and single shot shotguns rust blue very nicely.
A polish to 280 or 320 is plenty good. Then
go over with a fine wire wheel with light pressure and the metal parts coated with most any oil.
You don't need much oil and anything from motor oil to WD40 to 3'n1 works fine.
The latter will burnish the surface nicely and makes an excellent rust blue prep polish.

posted Hide Post
Got it done this weekend and came out much better than cast receivers have in past with hot blue. Thanks to all that answered with all the good advise.