THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

REm 788 trigger replacement or adjustment?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anyone producing a replacement trigger (fully adjustable) for the Rem 788 rifles?

Alternatively, where can a person find details on altering the pull (reducing) on a 788?

Thanks for your time.

Posts: 450 | Location: AB, Canada | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canjar makes a replacement and I think Timmney has just released one. Adjustment is accomplished by a reduction in spring tension and stoneing and dereaseing the friction on all working parts. My advice is that unless you know and understand trigger geometry- buy a replacement.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scroll back to 6/18/04; there was a thread on 788 triggers, with several comments/suggestions.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was about to say... "Didn't we just talk about this?"

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJP, I have a file detailing the changes to make a 788 trigger adjustable, if you want a copy just email me or pm me with your email address and I'll send it along. I've done this to a couple of my 788 triggers (I have 5 of them, rifles I mean) and it works out pretty well as long as you're careful. Certainly hard to beat the price. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!!

Posts: 450 | Location: AB, Canada | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of an old Rifle magazine that details the modifications to make the original 788 triggers adjustable. If you send me an email, I will see if I can track it down.

Jeff P

Posts: 331 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall the Rifle magazine article being applicable to only early model 788 triggers (first4-5 yrs); later models had a reconfigured safety that interfered with the mod as described.
With article in hand, you will quickly know if you can proceed.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pfeifer, I'd like to see that article, see how it compares to the file I have. Thanks. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote