New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reamer FreeBore, How much?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How much general freebore would you specify on a finish reamer if you were not sure which bullets you were ultimately going to run, but had in mind(in the case of 6.5/06)to try hunting bullets such as:
125np,129sst,130accubond,130sirocco, 140 woodleigh & monometals like tsx120gn,gscHV110gn?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need 3 or 4 reamers. I believe you will have to seat all your bullets and take measurements. Send your compromise to your reamer guy.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Have your reamer ground without a throat and buy a throating reamer. That way you can cut your throat. Big Grin ..I mean the chamber throat...a little at a time until you get exactly what you're after.

You may want to leave an extra long full-diameter section on the barrel so that if you over-cut the throat you can set the barrel back and start again.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
maybe some of the more experieced here have done that and can tell me the practical figure they came up with Big Grin
Plus I dont have all those bullets in hand to measure.
Lets face it, you never really know which bullets going to shoot well in your rifle.
I did keep it narrowed to quality hunting bullets to make it somewhat easier.

TooManytools,
I was editing my responce to Butch while you posted, hence it now appears after your post, I will keep your idea in mind also.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Woodjack,

If you are not sure which bullet to throat for, then gather the various bullets you would like to use in the gun, and insert each bullet in the muzzle end of the barrel, pointy end first. When the bullet comes to a stop, wiggle it a little in order to make a mark on the bullet. That mark represents the ogive.

Now lay all the bullets in a neat little row with all the pointy ends even with each other. Find the bullet who's ogive sits the furthest forward and throat the gun as a separate operation for that bullet.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even with John's suggestion, with the different ogives, it will be a guess. If you actually knew the one that ends up longest and shortest, you could make a decision. Maybe we can get together and send you one each to help you out. I know some of our 6mm 68grn. br bullets may have .060 difference in ogive location.
Call Dave Kiff at Pacific Precision Toll and Guage.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the method I have used. Not that it is very scientific, but it helps me establish a sensible compromise in throat length.

It is hard to know exactly what bullet weight may end up shooting in a gun. So it is nice to have some leeway of loading close to the lands with the entire spectrum of bullets you would potentially like to use. On the other hand, you want bullets seated firmly in your case necks, you need sufficient room to load loaded rounds in your magazine, and it would be nice to be able to load out a bit to chase receding lands as the barrel gets worn.

I establish the longest and the shortest (measured with a bullet comparator over the ogive) bullet I believe I'd like to use in the rifle. I then load the longest bullet in a dummy round, such that 1) it will fit in the magazine, 2) it is seated solidly in the case - typically loaded at or just below the neck of the case, 3) I still have a tad of room (.01", say) for feeding, 4) still have a tad of room (.01", say) to chase receding lands.

I then load the shortest bullet in a dummy round to the same OACL (again measured over bullet ogive). If that bullet is also seated safely in the case, and offers me a bit of room to chase receding lands, all is OK. If not, I play with the two dummy rounds to achieve a sensible compromise where I can be close to the lands (plus all the other criteria mentioned above) with both bullets. That is how I specify the chamber throat to be cut.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have your reamer ground without a throat and buy a throating reamer. That way you can cut your throat. ..I mean the chamber throat...a little at a time until you get exactly what you're after.

X2

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have throaters and they work good if you know which bullets that you want to shoot. You can't do that unless you have the bullets in hand. If he doesn't want to purchase them its all a swag.
Butch