THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Granite Mountain Arms Mauser action - Feedback?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
I read an article in the new Handloader magazine about rifles built on these actions.

Since the article said Granite Mountain arms was in Phoenix, I called and was invited to stop by. I went over 2 days ago and was shown the operation.

It is a small machine shop that is all state of the art. When he showed me the finished action in-the-white for a 505 gibbs, I was impressed. Then the owner showed me the barrels he made. The barrel had front sight, rear ramp, and barrel band swivel all intregal to the barrel. All cut from one piece of metal - Amazing.

I am glad I stopped by to see this operation but at $3000 per action and $4500 for a barreled action, hey may be out of my league. But then I look a HumVs and Porsches too.

Have any of you seen or used these actions? Are they as good as they look?

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have drooled on a bunch of them and had the pleasure of firing a dozen of them in calibers from 375 to 585 (the term "pleasure" might not apply to that one) but they worked very well. So well in fact I am expecting delivery of one this week in .416 Rigby. Hope to have a lot more input after this winter and next spring's bear season.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
First class. Low production volume of this quality will always be expensive:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I would never say I didn't think it was worth the money(I'd pay it if i had it) - It's just beyond my reach money-wise.

To afford a rifle like that I would have to quit going on hunting trips.

fla3006:

Thanks for the picture - it's even more amazing in your hands.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Those are truly beautiful actions... for a less expensive alternative I'd be inclined to wait for Williams Mfg (Matt Williams) to get their M98-esque actions produced.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
You have peaked my interest. Who are they and do they have a website?

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Matt's website is here http://www.williamsfirearms.com/ He's a great guy to talk to and will answer any questions that you have.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Riodot,

Your comment on them is very well made. I saw a custom 600 OK rifle owned by one of the members here at the BGRC Lodi shoot some weeks ago and it was made on a GMA action. The action was beautiful beyond words and it definitely inspired me to set some money aside to buy a medium sized one someday in a caliber that I would use, most likely a 30-06. These are truly mechanical works of art. beer

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
If you think thats pricey check out a double square bridge made by Fred Wells in Prescott, AZ!

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any idea of price range for a complete rifle? What about wff Hein mag actions/rifles? thanks

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim White, the Granite Mountain action is the same one that Fred Sells. He helped them design it and has access to them and resells and as you noticed a somewhat higher price. Fred has them make the monster actions he uses.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Riodot,

at around half the price of the super premium quality HartmannWeiss magnum mauser action, I would say GMA are good value,was not disssapointed with the rigs i handled at RenoSCI. If I was Filthy$$$$$ It would be H&W for me. But have no grumbles with the GMA.Would go that way if building anice 06' or 9.3.
Wil be interesting to see what Williams creates and its price.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wondering how a magnum action by Waffenfabrick Hein (machined double Square Bridge Pre-64 Win M70 design) at about $3000 stacks up against a GMA action??

The Hein action is milled from 4140 steel and heat treated and the Granite Mountain Arms GMA action is milled from 8630 and the Wear surfaces are carburized.

Anybody have any experience with the Hein action, they have an address in Tekora, Wash.???

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Jim White, the Granite Mountain action is the same one that Fred Sells. He helped them design it and has access to them and resells and as you noticed a somewhat higher price. Fred has them make the monster actions he uses.

Chic, Have you ever been in Fred's shop? The first time I went there I was expecting to see state of the art machinery and floors you could eat off of. What a surprise. That shop has character and lots of it. And a Mauser collection to die for. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I haven't been in his shop but I hope to some day.

One year at the Guild show, Rachel and Fred were just behind me and I got to know him in the 3 days. He is a real hoot. He kept dragging items out of his briefcase and tossing them to me to look at. Finally he threw an adjustable lyman sight that he had rigged up to set up open sights and I wouldn't give it back to him. I relented after about an hour. I had so much fun with him at that show. A wonderful guy and a real genius when it comes to rifles.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dakota45056:
Wondering how a magnum action by Waffenfabrick Hein (machined double Square Bridge Pre-64 Win M70 design) at about $3000 stacks up against a GMA action??

Personally I prefer the GMA because it is a true Mauser, rather than a model 70 variant (Hein).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
despite there price they still need work to cycle smoothley and at times to feed correctley
daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote