New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiberglass stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need some help on deciding which synthetic stock to buy.

I'm in the planning stages for a light-weight all weather rifle around a Remington short action. Currently looking to a stainless featherweight barrel, probably in 250 AI. The "donor" rifle is a BDL, but I'm pitching the floorplate and going to a blind magazine.

Since I've only dealt with wood stocks in the past, I don't know anything about the different brands of fiberglass stocks available, and was hoping someone could give me a rundown on what's available (brand differences) and what to look for. Lighter is better!

one of us
posted Hide Post
McMillan is the top of the heap...start there and work your way down. Just be patient...most McMillan stocks take about 3 months to deliver.
Once in a blue moon they will have the one you want on the shelf...
I've also used MPI and HS Precision. MPI makes a great hand laid fiberglass stock. HS Precision, likewise makes a good stock with aluminum bedding blocks molded into the action area.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
McMillan.

Don't waste your time and money with anything else.

There's no good reason to.....

AD

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's no good reason to.....
There is. The wait and the time for delivery.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the McMillan but you one thing it isnt is light. For my backing rifles I have the high tec specialties which is made by Banser. Its available through Brownells for about $170. It will need to be bedded and painted but will still go under 22 ounces complete. I think the McMillan mountain stock still comes in at almost 3 pounds ready to go. I have not liked my experiences with Lone wolf stocks, either the product or the customer service.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Another option, especially as weight is concerned is Lone Wolf. Their XL weighs 16 oz with pad and the XL Summit weighs 12 oz with pad. They make a good product but may take a while for delivery. You can find them at lonewolfriflestocks.com. My experience was better than the last poster but still only a sample of two. Or sell that gun and buy a Colt Light Rifle while they're still around.

[ 10-29-2003, 22:56: Message edited by: tigertate ]

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have not liked my experiences with Lone wolf stocks, either the product or the customer service.
Todd:

Can you elaborate on why you didn't like their stocks?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done both Mausers and Sakos on MPI stocks. I found them both light and easy to work with; I used krinkle paint where I wanted grippy surfaces, and haven't had to do anything further to them in years. Anyone with even modest 'do-it-yourself' skills can fit & finish them.

Posts: 5851 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
There seems to be only 3 worthwhile fiberglass layup stocks out there.

1. Mcmillan
2. High Tech
3. Borden Rimrock .

I like all three and the Mcmillan is the heaviest of the bunch by 1/2 lb. I have a Mcmillan on my 700 KS from the factory and it is very light but it must be made for the custom shop. I too have heard rumours about the Lone Wolf stock(shoddy workmanship and poor customer service) but rumours are just that so I would research them further if you really like them.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for light weight, the Brown Kevlar Pounder or the Bansner are the two lightweight fibreglass stocks I have experience with. Both are well made, and a good value for the money. I have a couple of McMillans too, and they are very good stocks, but not the lightest stocks around. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Brown Precision I once owned was junk pure and simple. Ordered a McMillan on the 29th of August and it was shipped by McMillan on Friday (24th of October). When I got the BP I got it because of the quick availability but will gladly waite from now on.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have rifles with stocks from McMillan, H-S Precision, and Rimrock. Of those three, the Rimrocks seem to fit me best. I have never used the High Tech stocks, but I have a hunting buddy who would use nothing else.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Belaw,
The weight was not as advertised, about 6 ounces heavier. The stock was not as finished as advertised and required more work than expected for the price. Also the rear action screw was about 1/4" off. When I called to confirm I had the correct stock they treated me like crap. They made it sound like everything was my fault and said "its obvious you dont know what you are doing". In retrospect I confirmed they sent a Rem 700 short action instead of the Model 7 I ordered which explained the action screw being off. Even after I tastefully (I did my best at this point)pointed out the problem I was told I was wrong and the M7 uses the 700 stock. Long story short I was not wrong they would not accept a return (I had not modified or bedded the stock) so I shipped it back to them and had the credit card company void out the charge. IMHO I would not buy another stock from them if it was weightless. On the other hand Banser is a first class dude and and he will get all of my business in the future.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Belaw:

If your goal is the lightest weight possible, then you have three options [1] Brown Precision "pounder"; [2] High Tech; [3] Lone Wolf Summit XL, or just plain Summit.

I've owned and used them all. Brown makes an excellent light stock for the Rem 700 short. I have one of their blanks at my desk right now [for a small Sako] and the workmanship is excellent. I mention that because there have been times in the past when their blanks were very rough. The last two I have seen have been excellent. In fact, I called the shop to compliment them on the finish of the stock and they said they had a different person doing the lay-ups and molding. Whoever it is is doing a nice job. They do require finish work [sanding, minor filling of voids] and bedding, but they are very good stocks.

The Brown and High Tech stocks each weigh about 20 ounces [without recoil pad]. You can get a Brown "pounder" [as the name suggests, it weighs 16 oz.] but you have to pay extra for it. They use Kevlar in the pounder and are able to save about 4 ounces of weight.

The exterior finish of the High Tech is smoother than Browns, but, for good paint adhesion, you are going to want to rough the stock up with 60-80 grit paper anyway, so the smoothness of the exterior finish of the High Tech is not a selling point with me. Additionally, years ago I ripped the forearm of a High Tech with my bare hands [did not use enough release agent on the barreled action!]. I am told they now use Carbon fiber in the fore-end. I hope so. I do not think they are as stiff or strong as the Brown Precision stock. This is just my opinion.

I owned one Lone Wolf Summit which I personally did not care for. The reason is this: the stock is made to be as light as possible. It is cloth in an epoxy matrix with very little fill material in the action area or anywhere else. The problem is that it is so lacking in inert fill material that when you apply heat to it, it goes soft. I heated mine in an oven to 180 degrees to cure some extra glass I had laid up on it and it went soft and lost shape. They obviously do not post-cure their resin at heat. That said, the Summit XL is about the lightest thing going. Also, I believe Rifles Inc. uses the Lone Wolf Summit on its ultra-light rifles and they appear to have performed very well in that application.

Jordan

<Jordan>
posted
FWIW:

When I ripped the forearm off my High Tech, I boxed it up, sent it back to them and requested a refund. Never heard from them. So much for Bansner's "customer service".

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
has anybody out there had any expierence with bell & carlson stocks? h&s stocks? mcmillian stocks? i have a 700bdl 7mm mag Left hand that i want to put a new stock on and change barrels.any thoughts on stocks? what is a good barrel to put on?[would like to increase length from 24 in [original] to 26-27 in. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Posts: 26 | Location: alberta | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, there is no good reason to invest in anything other than a Borden "Rimrock" stock. They are, by far, the finest, most comfortable and best looking one out there. THey are reasonably priced and will last a lifetime. Those Hi-tech stocks are a bunch of junk. McMillan is good, but I use them mostly for the Hi-power guys. Remember, IMHO

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had two Brown Precision stocks, and liked them both. My current is the "pounder" that I dropped a 700 300 RUM in. I had it glass and pillar bedded, and refinished it myself. The gun shoot legit 3/4 MOA with factory partitions. The stock is of the old classic style (very open grip), which I like. It seems quite strong. The only gripe I might have is the LOP (only about 13.5" with thick pad). I would rather have a little longer stock, but I bought it used, so don't know what their standard length is.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning the only experience I have with Butler creek stocks is with the cheaper ones, they seem to be on rifles I buy for actions quite often. As for the H.S. stocks, I have a few of those, in the heavier benchrest/tactical style, and they are great stocks. They are not lightweight stocks, and even their hunting models are pretty heavy, comparatively speaking. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning, I have 3 B&C stocks: a very early Deluxe on a M77 (no longer available), and two of the current M700LA uncheckered models on 721 Remingtons. One of the latter is a BDL and one an ADL. I bought them on sale for less than a c-note, and both have been quite satisfactory. Of course they require minor modification to fit the 721, but the primary features were right. They seem to be a solid, fairly light stock.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Those Hi-tech stocks are a bunch of junk.

Jim, care to expand on this?? I was planning to get one of the Hi-Tech stocks, so this is obviously of interest...
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an H-S Precision stock on a .300 Wthby Model 700, and it is fine. Not the lightest stock, but they replaced it free when the stock split at the front sling swivel on a Montana hunt at temps down to -20 degrees. This gun is more accurate than I am, with no additional bedding work required. I have used Bell & Carlson on a couple rifles, and they worked fine. Not light, but sturdy. Butler Creek stocks, as on the Howa synthetic I bought, are tupperware junk. The forearms twist and bend without a lot of effort required.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by browning:
has anybody out there had any expierence with bell & carlson stocks? h&s stocks? mcmillian stocks? i have a 700bdl 7mm mag Left hand that i want to put a new stock on and change barrels.any thoughts on stocks? what is a good barrel to put on?[would like to increase length from 24 in [original] to 26-27 in. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thank you

I purchased a b& c stock for a rem 300 ultra mag - the stock has the aluminum bedding block that extends through the grip - the action area / bolt required some relief work as well as a bit on the barrel channel - the finish, with the krinkle paint, is exactly what I wanted as it affords good "grip" - my only complaint is the LOP is too short, about 13.5" with the included decelator pad - weighed right at two pounds - I will investigate a spacer to get more LOP - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
interesting... i got a price list from lonewolf, and they are just about exactly what Mac's are.

400 bucks for a frickin tupperware stock? how about F***** no!.

Opps, sorry... for those that don't know, I am a walnut and blue kinda guy... was looking at these varius rubbakinder for a friend...
shesh, come on, I can get a super nice semi inlet for 400 bucks.... I mean drooldrool nice

jeffe

[ 10-30-2003, 22:20: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better a quality piece of fibreglass than a piece of firewood.
Why do scots wear kilts?-because sheep can hear zippers.

[ 10-31-2003, 16:49: Message edited by: stubblejumper ]

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quoted by Jim Kobe

quote:
IMHO, there is no good reason to invest in anything other than a Borden "Rimrock" stock. They are, by far, the finest, most comfortable and best looking one out there. THey are reasonably priced and will last a lifetime
Well I'll be damned. I know this guy real well and I can assure his word is gold with me. He's one of the finest gun makers I've ever met. A true gentelman, artist, and a man that knows what he's doing all the time.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Vapodog:

In your post, is the honest gunsmith you are referring to Mr. Borden or to Mr. Jim Kobe?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I think Jim Kobe is a gun maker too...

jpb

[ 10-31-2003, 15:09: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
JPb,

I was referring to Mr Kobe.......a true artist in both metal and wood.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote