bolt timing from another forum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Too me, bolt timing is about the relationship between the bolt handle, bolt lugs and the cocking notch. Quite frankly I lost interest in what was being said about the position of the firing pin and it's hole, and how it relates to the timing of the bolt. In fact I started dosing off trying to follow the story line.

One thing I will say is that a loose fit between the bolt, the shroud and cocking piece certainly can cause a misalignment between the firing pin an it's hole when cocked. But I don't see what that has to do with the subject of bolt timing. That should probably be covered under another thread relating to "slop".

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I read this SEVERAL times and the pictures did help, some. From what I got out of the hole thing was that for some reason the bolt handle was not in the right spot in relation to the bolt body, and needed to be reattached in a different location,re indexed if you will. and A better camming surface to mate with the action. I'm with you Westpac the firing pin problem is another issue all together. As the artical stated it has always been like this since new, I just wish he had said what type action it was.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
"While we often hear much about 'bolt timing'"

Around these parts it is a rare thing to have a gun come in exhibiting bolt timing issues. If and when they do, and I can't remember when the last one was, it is usually the result of someone welding on a new handle and not getting the upper edge correct, or, someone who doesn't know how to reposition the bolt handle when re-attaching it with a torch. Other than that, I don't see a problem. But then I only handle several hundred long guns a year. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe this article is dealing with benchrest actions. Timing the bolt and trigger coerectly, on a benchrest rifle, will ensure the fastest, drag free lock time available. It also offers the almost effortless bolt lift after firing. This is a huge bonus as the rifles' position in the bags is not upset. I don't believe there is any practicle or, even noticable, advantage to doing this to a live varmint or hunting rifle. Some of the procedures used by BR shooters are valuable only to BR shooters.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I can see doing whatever you can to reduce lock time and minimize the chance at disturbing your zero, but I figured issues such as that would have been addressed when the gun was built. Tight, square and true rules!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The other thing that proper bolt timing does is make cocking the bolt easier.

Savages are notorious for having a heavy bolt lift and that's because the bolt camming surfaces are cut with the wrong tool at the factory. They are trying to cut a .375" helical, tapered surface with a 1/2" flat end mill.

What they get is a bolt that actually overcocks badly on the way up, in a small part of the bolt lift instead of a bolt that cocks just enough over the entire length of the camming surfaces.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wespac, I too, believe that a custom action should be perfect, considering the price, but, every trigger & sear is not exactly the same and the sear engagement on the cocking piece can affect bolt timing.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote