Find
Notify
Tools

FN Trigger Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I have a JC Higgins (FN action) bolt action rifle that was manufactured in .30-06. The safety is the toggle-style safety on the left side of the back of the bolt (not the flip over Mauser safety or the slide safety on the right side of the action). It has the old FN trigger that I would like to replace with a new Timney trigger. Anyone know which of the Timney triggers is correct for this model and whether the trigger can be swapped out by a non-gunsmith. Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 21689 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Not of the model but a swap to the FN is no big deal. Are you staying with the sbroud safety? I would

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Yes, I like the safety on the left. Just want to swap the trigger for one that is adjustable.

Mike

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
101 I believe.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul. I just called Timney. The rifle is a JC Higgins Model 51. They confirmed that the 101 and 201 triggers are both compatible with the rifle. Ordered a 101 set at 2.5 pounds.

Here is a picture of the FN trigger to the extent anyone is interested.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I installed a Bold trigger in an FN Mauser a decade ago and as good as the Timney's are I think the Bold was better. But.......... it's all good!

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a customer supply a Bold Trigger awhile back. I thought it was 'cheap' and not nearly the equal of a Timney. I wouldn't buy one for myself and wouldn't recommend one to a customer.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use only bolds; fully as good as timney. Used plenty of them too before bold came out.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used them both. Probably more Boyd. I see nothing wrong with them. But you need to use the brand that gives you confidence

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see that you figured out removing the FN trigger. The Timney goes right in, simple. If you scope the rifle, the safety lever lays tight to the scope making it hard to release. I bent the tip of the lever down making it easier to flick off, especially wearing gloves.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I tried a Timney that I had on another Mauser action and it fits up fine. Only issue I have encountered so far is that the trigger sear on the Timney is not as tall as the FN trigger sear . . . as a result while the sear on the Timney will engage and release the firing pin the safety will not engage. I had Timney put an extra tall sear on the trigger I ordered (and include the standard sear in the package too). Hopefully that will allow the safety to engage.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't recall any problems putting the Timney on mine. Can't remember the number, but that was 35-40 years ago.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Never had an issue with the safety.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Must just be the gun gods messing with me. Frowner

Mike

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Doesnt the safety rotate and block the cocking piece? How does a short sear interfer? What am I missing?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the safety won't lift to engage, the cocking piece is not in the proper position for the safety to engage the notch in the top of the cocking piece. The horizontal engagement length of the trigger sear controls this. Found a FN 300 cocking piece and safety in my parts box. The safety tip was bent down. I guess the safety lever was altered during the production run.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just to complete this saga . . . the Timney 101 trigger with the high sear arrived today. Works perfectly and safety engages flawlessly. A little work with the Dremel tool to open up the stock to accommodate the new trigger, put it back together and all is good.

Mike

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Timney 101 trigger with the high sear arrived today. Works perfectly and safety engages flawlessly

Great

That is a new one on me. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Thanks Paul. I just called Timney. The rifle is a JC Higgins Model 51. They confirmed that the 101 and 201 triggers are both compatible with the rifle. Ordered a 101 set at 2.5 pounds.

Here is a picture of the FN trigger to the extent anyone is interested.

I used a JC Higgens 30-06 with the exact trigger for a few years until the piece shown on the left broke in half! In fact it appears yours may be weak in that area as well.
I replaced it with a Timney and haven't had a problem since.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Phil, the whole trigger arrangement just seemed to me to have a Rube Goldberg feel to it, e.g., the two pieces, the two springs, etc. The way the trigger engages and releases just looks to me like it is an accident waiting to happen . . . not to mention the trigger pull. I was able to stone the two points where the two pieces engage and smooth the release up a bit but I feel much better with the Timney in there.

Mike

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Phil, the whole trigger arrangement just seemed to me to have a Rube Goldberg feel to it, e.g., the two pieces, the two springs, etc. The way the trigger engages and releases just looks to me like it is an accident waiting to happen . . . not to mention the trigger pull. I was able to stone the two points where the two pieces engage and smooth the release up a bit but I feel much better with the Timney in there.

The real problem with that trigger is the fact that it relies on the rear guard screw to hold everything in place. If the screw comes loose the rifle can discharge. Scary stuff.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loose guard screw, accidental discharge is why I put a Timney on mine.

Dave