New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was trying to find a timeline or information on an older model Ruger M77. Does anyone know what year they starting making the Mark II? Looking at a Ruger M77 made in 1977 and trying to find out what type of extractor and ejector it has. If I knew the Mark II was the designation in that year or before then I would know though I think.

Thanks
Wes

----
Towards danger; but not too rashly, nor too straight

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was either 1992 or 1994...but I know it wasn’t in the 1970’s. The receiver of a MKII should have that designation on it.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Easiest way to tell the diffrence is to look at the safety and ejector- on the original 77 (it was never designated as the MkI) the 2 position safety is mounted on the tang, and the ejector is a spring loaded 'button' in the bolt face, similar to the Rem 700.

On the MkII, the safety is a 3 position lever mounted on the right hand side of the rear bridge, and the ejector is a 'Mauser' type fixed ejector mounted inside the receiver (under the rear bridge), which protrudes through a slot under the left hand locking lug when the bolt is drawn fully backwards.

IIRC, there is somewhere on Ruger's website that enable to date your rifle...

Hope that helps...

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would there be any issue with owning an older Ruger? I know the ejector and safety are different, but is it really going to matter that much.

----
Towards danger; but not too rashly, nor too straight

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tang-safety Ruger is the finest firearm ever made.

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Wes, I've got an early RSI model in 308 with the tang safety. To be honest I much prefer the tang safety to any other type. Just my personal preference and other opinions will vary, I like the way the safety falls easily under the thumb. The early Rugers have the reputation of having iffy accuracy due to the barrels, I've got to say that this is my third one and I have had no problems at all. The full stocked RSI is no target gun but will shoot just about any 150 gr. factory load into 1.25", sitting with a sling with a 1.5-4.5x scope. For a 200-250 yard gun it is really fine, it's short, light, all around handy for stalking.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wes,

IMHO, there's been a lot of crap written about Ruger's accuracy - I've owned several tang safety models in 6mm Rem and 25-06, and with handloads, all would easily place 10 shots into an inch at 100 yards over a bench - and that wasn't done while waiting for the barrel to cool, etc., I loved 'em...

My current Ruger is a MkII RBZ in 270, (stainless/laminate) and it does the same - and to be perfectly honest, I'm not all that keen on cleaning rifles! Big Grin

Personally, I prefer the tang safety, but I've learnt to live with the 3 position safety on the MkII... it's not an issue.

My username says it all!!

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote