Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby repair
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
Need a recommendation, pls. My old German Mark V, now in 7mm Weatherby needs some work. The cocking piece has broken off about an inch behind the sear. And, the sear looks chipped -- when pulling the trigger on 'Safe', upon moving forward to 'Fire' it discharges. (Found this out when cleaning, not when at the range.)

Not sure of terms, but I do know this old style has the safety off the bolt shroud. And, the trigger is likely no longer available as a part. The 'smith who did the barrel work cleaned the old trigger as best as possible, including sonicating it. Shoots like a dream, but maybe the trigger finally gave out. (I understand some metal parts may have been "soft", even pot metal.)

dpcd?

Thanks,

Barry

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Have you checked with Weatherby?

I had them take a look at a German MK V for me and they changed the cocking piece and safety to a more modern design.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I wish I could help but this is one thing I know nothing about, and can't fake my way through it like I usually do.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have been directed to a couple 'smiths near Houston, in case my friend Jerry Easley can't help me. He's out of town until next week.

Kyler, that is comforting to hear.

dpcd, you are being modest.

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Levi at Lohman Gunsmithing (Houston, TX) installed a new cocking piece and -- the trigger works just fine. No need to send it off to Weatherby for the bolt shroud safety conversion. Kept the Timney trigger just in case I change my mind down the road.

Barry