Find
Notify
Tools

Removing broken sling swivel stud
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I was shooting my Remington SPR22 double in a Benchmaster rest, and failed to note that the sling swivel in the toe was catching a lot of the recoil where the gun sits in the fork that holds the butt. As a result, the rear swivel broke off below the woodline. How on earth does one extract the broken shank?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16631 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Pick you up a broken screw extractor for that size screw. Drill a hole into the broken shaft the size the directions with the tool instructions say insert the extractor and then back out the screw.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Very carefully. You have to drill a hole into it and use an easy out. It could be something fairly simple, or, a nightmare. I have, on occasion, had to set the stock in the milling machine in order to square the broken shank to where I could get a clean, centered start with a smaller endmill.

If the stock is a working stock and not a show piece, you can mill and vaccuum the entire broken piece out and then make and fit an insert.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gents: Thanks for the advice!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16631 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
This is where a Dremal tool works good! Use the tiny engraving insert they sell and grind a slot across the brocken screw to the point a screw driver will fit and unscrew it. I've done this countless times on broken machine screws and so far all have came out. Helps to have some small screwdrivers also...

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote