THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Picture of Leeper Model 70 (more pictures)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
I have been all hot and sweaty since I first saw the group this rifle shot.

I know, I know, everybody says you don't need that kind of accuracy for hunting. It doesn't matter to me. I don't care what the rifle looks like, if it's not accurate, I lose interest(I would be satisfied with 1 1/2" groups{consistant} at 200 yds). I also require it to be sporter weight and svelt and graceful.

I'm talking medium bores down. Big bores have a whole different criteria.

What gunsmith in the US has the fixtures to blueprint a M70 action that can also handle the feeding adjustments?

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some more pictures of Bill's metal work. Remember the stock is unfinished, and the photographer is a joke.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, sorry it took me a few days to send a note, I've been a wee bit busy in a move.

Congrats to you and Bill on the rifle. I had zero doubts the rifle would operate as it has shown thus far. You've seen pictures of my little 284, and may have seen the 358 Norma as it has been at Bill's shop for a few months. Other than the fact that mine wear Pac-Nors and have diffferent brand stocks, all three are virtually identical. Oh yeah, mine have the bolts on the correct side. In fact, other than the larger hole in the barrel my 358 IS pretty much identical. All three exhibit similar mechanical operability and accuracy potential. The results you've seen aren't an accident when Bill builds a rifle, thay are a matter of course and are to be expected.

The only stress when Bill is building you a rifle is deciding what caliber the NEXT one will be.

Carrying a rifle that runs, fits and shoots like that will give you a whole new confidence while hunting. When Bill was building the first rifle for me, that being the short action 284, I didn't believe that a fiberglass stocked, stainless rifle could ever become a favourite, it was destined to be simply a bionic backpacking rifle. It has become my absolute pet hunting rifle, and I routinely leave a couple of very nice blued/walnut rifles at home to hunt with it. I have no doubt your 7 will become the same for you.

And you are very correct about Bill, you just don't appreciate how knowledgeable and intelligent that guy is until you actually converse with him. Just so he doesn't get a swelled head from all this praise, have you had the "Leeper hunting gods exorcism" yet? If that doesn't ring a bell, look through some old posts from the last two hunting seasons about Bill's hunting prowess. A great rifle only goes so far...

Posts: 235 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 08 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee Chuck, that's a bummer. But hey, at least you have friends that will help. Like, I could help you fill your mule deer tag, while you kept your nose to the grind-stone... After all, somebody has to keep the family fed... With friends like this,,,,
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, the gun looks as good as it appears to shoot. The new job thing sucks, been there the last couple of years myself.
I just finished a job this past friday and it looks as if I may be able to plan a hunt or two unless I get called out again.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote