Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.17 Hornady Mach 2 rimfire
 Login/Join

posted
Whose going to be the first to rebarrel a .22 LR to this new cartidge.
Rick Jamison says that it works in .22 LR clips and magazines and the case head is similar to the .22 LR.

http://members.aol.com/manyplews/000417m2

http://members.aol.com/manyplews/000417m2v

Posts: 17 | Location: Laurel Mtns. | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
bad links?
j

Posts: 39669 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Hornady says ammunition will not be available until late summer. Green Mountain already makes barrels.

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up the new G&A and ST magazines yesterday and both of them have big writeups on the HM2 if anyone is interested.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
This year the big machine shop project was to machine a 10/22 style reciever. It will be pretty sweet, machined from 11L17 with integeral Talley bases, threaded barrel and so on. I also have a Ruger 10/22, the first gun I ever bought, and since I see no reason for 2 rifles that similar I think i will line the Rugers barrel at some point and chamber it for .17 Mach2. That little cartidge seems to do alright for its self, with the same 17grain bullet goin 2100fps compaired to the 2550fps of the .17HMR. Of course the claim "...never been a product introduction like the .17M2..." is a bunch of crap as the .17Aguila was intro quite a while ago.

Kristofer

posted Hide Post
Of course the claim "...never been a product introduction like the .17M2..." is a bunch of crap as the .17Aguila was intro quite a while ago.

Kristofer

As I understood Jamison,he meant that Hornady had coordinated the announcement with many firearms manufacturers and several ammunition makers,by giving them the specs,etc. well in advance so they could design/plan their products to be ready or at least have their designs finalized before Hornady announced it. Hornady also forewent copyrighting it as the .17 Hornady Mach 2 as many other companies would have.

Posts: 17 | Location: Laurel Mtns. | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

This year the big machine shop project was to machine a 10/22 style reciever.

Kristofer

Did you, are you making one off for yourself?
That is a recurrent fantasy of mine.
It is beyond the scope of my skill, but I can dreamSmiler

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
Yes I did all the machining my self to carve it out of a sold 8x2.5x1.25" block of steel. For your posts about other maching you have done I would say it is absolutely in your skill level. When you actually get into a 10/22 reciever, there is not very much to it at all. It is just a box with with one side open, and a half dozen holes in the right place. The hard part was getting the measurements for the locations of holes and such, factory 10/22 are not a very consistent product. We even screwed that up on the trigger group pin holes, so all of our trigger groups are now held in by a pair of large bolt stop pins. Mine is nearly complete. I will be posting pictures when I finish it in a few weeks.

Kristofer