New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tang safteyrugr.308 action.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Picked up a tang saftey ruger 308 today, just cause it was like brand new , and cheap ! I was wondering if the action was long enough to do a.257 Roberts AI I can load the magizine with my standard Roberts loads but there is not alot of room left. plan to use mostly 100 grain bullets but I might try the new 110 grain noslers. Do you think the action is long enough? thanks ...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will work ok as a 257 Roberts. Just go with the standard Bob. I built a 257 Roberts AI on a Ruger long action. Pain in the ass. Make sure you get a gunsmith who understands AI chambering. Think about this: You are going with an AI to get more case capacity, but are using a short action that takes away case capacity.
I bought the same rifle you did. I put a Lilja barrel in .308 on it. Oh my God it is nice!

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawn dart, I alredy have a .257 Roberts on a long action ruger. Its the RL version 20 inch featerweight barrel. The loads I use on it with a 100 grain barnes tripple shock fit in the short action ruger magazine, but in truth ruger could throat the little robbie deeper and I could probably take more advantage of the longer action. I am thinking of making this converion beacuse the barerel on th RL heats up real quick when i squirt those little copper pills out the skinny barrel at 3140 fps.
I also have a pre 64 feather weight 308, that is not a collectable rifle. might convert it instead, I will try out the ruger as is to help me detrmine witch way to go...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tj3006:
Picked up a tang saftey ruger 308 today, just cause it was like brand new , and cheap !

That would be a sweet little rifle as-is!

I've always liked the older tang safety Rugers, they just look good, and fit right.

And I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this ( Wink ), but that little 308 is about a do-everything rifle, with nothing needing changed. If it's in near-new condition, I wouldn't be messing with it. There's too many "donor" rifles out there willing to give up their action to be tearing a good one apart.

one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ,

You might also consider the wildcat 25-284 cartridge.

I made this conversion on a Mark X 308 action myself.

Even with the bullets seated at the standard length (same as the 308 Winchester) I still get velocities better than factory 25-06.

And to save money, call around to the rebarrel shops...you will probably find a take-off barrel in 25-06 for under $75 bucks (in good shape that is).

It sounds like you reload anyway, and dies are easy find.

I am waiting to try those new 100 grain TSX next season....everybody here has good things to say, and I suspect they are onto something.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote