New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rottenstone use?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, I've got the stock down to slicker than a baby's behind with Tru-oil. Now I want to dull the shine a bit. Figured on using rottenstone, but I've never used it before-looking for tips...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
Hi Pedestal,

Usually, you mix rottenstone with either mineral oil, water, or tung/ms. You get a small dish of fluid and a small amount of powder. With either soft cotten cloth or felt pads, dip into fluid and soak it well, then dab into rottenstone to wet sand area very lightly. Just the pressure of the pad.

You might want to use pumice before...if you are looking for a satin finish. Then wait and see if, you need to proceed with the finer rottenstone.

You should allow truoil or other finish to harden..at least 2 weeks before using either pumice or rottenstone.

Some of the stock makers/smiths should be able to give some other tips that could help. Felt pads and pumice can be had at woodcraft.com

Hope that helps.

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that rottenstone and water worked well. I use a piece of an old felt hat that has been throughly dampened. Dip the wet felt in rottenstone and gently rub the stock with the grain, pausing frequently to pick up more rottenstone on the felt.

I used this method on a Browning BAR that had the very hard, shiny bowling pin finish. It worked really well once I figured out how hard to rub. I ended up woth a very nice matte finish.

Once finished, wipe the stock with a wet cloth.

One word of caution. The rottenstone is very fine and will get into every nook and cranny(ie checkering, etc) and can be somewhat difficult to clean up.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this: Thin out some tru-oil about 2-1 with mineral spirits and take a piece of 600 grit wet-or-dry. Wrap the paper around a stiff sanding block, both about 2" square, and then dip the paper into the finish and wet sand the stock, keeping it wet with the finish. Wipe the excess off with a paper towel. Try it, you'll like it.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote