New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Heat Treat In Brief
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got & read Mauser heat Treat In Brief by Nathaniel Myers. An excellent effort. The heat treatment of Mausers, especially the early ones like the Argentine M1909, is shrouded in hearsay and unsubstantiated opinion. Mr. Myers' brief pamphlet helps to dispel this uncertainty based upon historical & empirical data and is a worthwhile source for any Mauser afficiando. Good job, Nathaniel!

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does one order a copy?

KJK

Posts: 692 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I need one, also.

Posts: 7591 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Go to his web site and he has build in ordering and paying. My copies have not arrived yet; probably Monday. Look under products; $12.
https://www.myersarms.com/store/

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Received my copies in Saturday's mail, so they are on the way!

Posts: 1469 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice; I do recommend getting two or three copies; it brings the marginal cost down quite a bit. And you can give them for Christmas presents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good, I’m getting one

Posts: 124 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I really appreciate it!

It IS brief and I plan on expanding it and doing a larger version with more testing and original sources.

If you want a copy you can purchase it here. If you are outside the US, please send me an email as I have to setup shipping to certain countries.

Here is a direct link:
https://www.myersarms.com/stor...-in-Brief-p481200275

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1503 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I got mine today; I have to say that there is more info that no one has ever seen before packed into that book than I ever imagined!

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I got mine today; I have to say that there is more info that no one has ever seen before packed into that book than I ever imagined!

I agree, I read mine yesterday, good info.

Never thought the trigger sear contact area on the receiver received hardening: Makes sense!

Think I will pull some receivers out of storage and do some more Rockwell testing. As Nathaniel wrote, there is a lot of testing equipment out in the world, my Rockwell tester was a WWII unit and came from the Chicago Ordnance Department.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

Woodhunter, that is a really neat Rockwell tester.

My own Rockwell C Scale tester is a little guy. The technician that calibrates and inspects my equipment laughed when he first saw it. He is in his 60's and said he was a boy working for his dad when he last saw one like mine. He also remarked that it is one of the best designs, are literally bullet proof, and are part of the reason Wilson went bankrupt. The damn things never wore out. Its either pre WWI or shortly post WWI.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1503 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

Woodhunter, that is a really neat Rockwell tester.

My own Rockwell C Scale tester is a little guy. The technician that calibrates and inspects my equipment laughed when he first saw it. He is in his 60's and said he was a boy working for his dad when he last saw one like mine. He also remarked that it is one of the best designs, are literally bullet proof, and are part of the reason Wilson went bankrupt. The damn things never wore out. Its either pre WWI or shortly post WWI.

Yea my old Wilson is neat. Used in our effort during WWII inspecting gun parts and ordnance parts. I find it amusing that I am using a WWII tester that was used in the effort against the Germans. Now it is used in testing German made gun parts that are used in building American sporting rifles. It came out of one of the Arsenals near Chicago, a machinery dealer had it and I found it on Ebay. Had current inspection tags when I got it. It is heavy, had to ship it on a pallet via truck freight. Took two of us to pick it up and place it on the bench. This particular model is bullet proof and they last forever. Just a little lube on the pivot pins and elevating screw for maintenance. I bought a New Old Stock dial, have not installed it yet. The one on the tester is faded a little.

Here you go, ever heard of Eel Skid?

The tester came with a bunch of accessories, including Rockwell test plates. Had a new diamond penetrator installed when it showed up. I have since purchased two more diamond penetrators, yep, they are still made and are a standard item for newer testers.

When you are looking at these photos you are time traveling back to WWII!