New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wilson barrels: what say you?
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
What can you guys tell me about Wilson barrels? Cooper Arms and Bulberry cannot say enough good about them [Virgin Valley quit using them because Wilson decided to make them buy in bulk]. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
This isn't the same Wilson company that provided Ruger with barrels in the 80's is it? There was a lot of condemnation of Ruger because of the sporatic barrel quality at that time. I don't know, but it's worth checking into. I had a couple of Rugers that had those barrels on them and they were accurate enough for hunting purposes (never more 1.5" groups), though they did seem to foul quite a bit.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Wilson is the very best ten dollar barrel on the market.

[Smile]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,
ROFLMAO. Trust you to say it all in a one liner.

I thought Ruger paid $7.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Thanks Jack! I guess that answers that question!

Jordan

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
My 15" 6x45 Contender barrel from Virgin Valley is on a Wilson blank, and it if shoots over 0.5" for 5 shots at 100 yards, it is my fault.

I have 2 Bullberry barrels (Wilson blanks), and both meet & exceed my stringent accuracy requirements. And I just sold a 6.5-06 that had a 24.5" Wilson barrel on it. Accuracy was nothing less than fantastic.

Yes, they apparently turned out some cheapie, non-stress-relieved barrels a few years back. But in my experience, the current Wilson quality is excellent -- no matter what other posters may have to say.

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cooper Arms uses Wilson Barrels.
Cooper rifles are quite accurate...Maybe inspite of the barrel.

BR

[ 08-11-2002, 10:46: Message edited by: born ready ]

Posts: 50 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I used a Wilson barrel once [Big Grin]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I say KREIGER.........

AD

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
The barrel is no better than the chamber that gets put in it. Wilson barrels will work fine for just about any kind of shooting that you're after, except maybe some anal retentive benchrest shooting [Big Grin] , then their not quite spiffy enough.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I am pretty sure that the 60's era Ruger #1 I had in 7mm Rem Mag had a Wilson bbl. The rifle shot 1.5 MOA but it was also the wrong twist (1-10) and had a generous, sloppy belted chamber.

I would not buy a Wilson bbl. There are too many other good ones.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Wilson suffered some quality control problems in years past but now supplies barrels to many companies.

M/Sgt Harry Harrison won the Service Rifle championship at Perry a couple years ago with an allegedly off-the-shelf Armalite AR, Wilson barrel and all. My Rock River AR shoots as well as I can hold it with the same tube.

I have many match rifles with Kriegers, with which I cannot find fault beyond price and availability. I've heard but cannot verify that the Wilsons don't last as long as "premium" barrels. So what? I like 'em.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you have tried them all, then go get a Walther.

Or buy the Walther first, and save yourself a lot of time and money.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote