Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 bolt knob is threaded !!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I didn't know until today that the CZ 550 bolt know will come off by just unscrewing it. Why is it made that way? Are there replacment knobs to be had in another configuration?

What's the deal with this?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's probably cheaper to make the rifle that way...and easier to screw a bolt knob on rarther than braze it on. It ALWAYS fits right if screwed!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Czechs know Alaskans like to screw on a que ball or old Hurst Shifter knob cause they have really big mitts! Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Never thought about the que ball or the hurst knob, but perhaps some classic shape such as the pear shape would be nice. And a little larger than the factory knob could be handy. Where could a guy get such a thing? Have one made by someone with a lathe?

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Standard size or the Safari Magnum? I have the magnum, but can't see any joint. Before I get out the vice grips, I've gotta be sure...

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
The safari magnum is not the same as the standare 550 regarding the bolt handle. The safari handle is solid. You'll torque a long time before you twist it off. Wink

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Identify the thread and maybe you'll get lucky and find something already made that will screw on. Otherwise I'd draw up what you want and hand it off to a guy with a basic lathe.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
This threaded bolt handle is a new thing to me. Something I had not though much about before, but it's probably one more thing to dink with or worry about.

However if replacment knobs were readily available to try a different one, it would be interesting.

I did a search on the web, in general and specific to CZ USA, Midway, Brownells, and some custom shops, such as ANR and others, but found nothing specific to CZ. I found tactical and bench rest, but not sporting. Found some aluminum but not steel on Midway, but i don't know if they are threaded right.

Anyway, how difficult is is to make one or more, for a machinist with the tools?

KB