THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Wood versus synthetic stocks: Your perspectives!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Wood versus synthetic stocks: Your perspectives!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The real solution to this very difficult conundrum is to simply own both or as many as you can afford and your "CEO" will tolerate; this sometimes involves,bribery,obfuscation, outright prevarication and divers other forms of chicanery; this is quite acceptable, in moral terms, for gunaholics, but, not for other areas of life.

As to the Mannlicher, Dakota, Mod. 70 and Mauser 98, I am not so certain that anyone of them is superior to the other, there are features that I like about each one of them. I own and have owned numerous examples of fine Mausers, about three dozen Mod. 70s and one Dakot and three minty M-Ss. Actually, the M-Ss that I have had from 1967 to the present, have ALL been 1/2" shooters with hunting loads, so, given their fabulous feeding and smooth operation, I consider them equal to any of the others.

Dakotas were not designed to be clad in synthetic, mine has quarter-sawn English which has not changed p.o.i. once in the 11 yrs. I have owned it and I hunt in rainy weather with it, in very rough wilderness conditions. I would never restock it in synthetic because it is simply too beautiful and functional as it is.

I have noticed that most of our gun problems can be simply solved by just buying more guns, works for me!

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like tupperware. That grain does not show up very well when it is covered with camo paint.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wood is a great composite,it's both light and strong,just keep it dry.A well finished stock wins on looks hands down.There are a couple of ways around the fact a tree lives by sucking up moisture,Serengeti Stocks have one answer or coating is another.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by John Bartels.....
I'm probably a child of my era......

I think that premise likely rules the day for most people, John.

And it typically coincides with opinions from the pragmatic to the nostalgic.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote