Find
Notify
Tools

appropriate ft/# torque setting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted
What would the appropriate foot/pound setting be fot the action screws on a Remington 700 BDL with a wood stock?

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
65 inch pounds, not foot pounds, is the recommended torque on a synthetic stock like a HS Precision or similar.
Probably 60 inch pounds on a Walnut stock.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
Thanks, the torque wrench I bought is in ft/lbs and, being a dumbass, I nearly stripped the action screw on my LTR trying to get to 65.
For inch pounds do I just divide by 12?

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your best course of action would be to go out and buy an inch pound torque wrench.

I'm not sure if you can convert foot pounds to inch pounds or not, but you certainly wouldn't divide by 12; I believe you would multipy by 12. So, 5 foot pounds x 12 inch pounds per ft. lb. would equal 60 inch pounds.

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
hey hey, the manual sure helps.
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Your best course of action would be to go out and buy an inch pound torque wrench.

... and where does one buy one of these - other than Sinclair and Brownells, that both sell some pretty expensive models?? Is there nothing "cheap and cheerful" out there that will do the trick?
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look on e-bay.. Search torque wrenches.. I just bought one for this very purpose and it works great. It went for about $30.00 hope this helps, Doc Stone

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
You had the conversion number correct (multiply or divide by 12) and the correct conversion was previously mentioned.

Just wanted to add, that in the aviation field, the practice is to NOT use a torque wrench within 10% of it's upper and lower range.

Basically if your ft/lb torque wrench is a large 1/2 drive capable of several hundred ft/lbs of torque, it may not be all that accurate at a mere 65in/lbs. The lower torque ranges are best served by a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench.

Torque wrench accuracy can be affected by poor handling of the tool. In our hanger we test each torque wrench on a calibrated torque wrench tester prior to every use on an aircraft. Usually they are close (if not dropped or overtorqued in the 'reverse' mode) but they rarely are exactly correct. But, at least you'll get consistent results even of off by a few in/lbs.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Any reasonably sized Sears ought to have one in the tool section. Good auto parts houses have them also. Specialty tool stores like Wholesale Tool will have several brands and price ranges to choose from.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You mean you cant tell inch pounds in your own wrist??

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Good enough for my purposes but if you own a tactical rifle that you dissassemble frquently you must re-torque the action screws precisely to maintain the same point of impact and accuracy, especially in a bedding block sock like HS Precision. It's important enough that the military and others went to steel bottom metal in 700s because the constnt re-torquing wore out the bottom of screw holes in the floorplate.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I learned all about this the hard way with my Sako 75SS. I used the Remington spec. to tighten my action screws and really screwed things up! After tightening my action screws to 65 in/lbs I went to the range only to find bullets flying every direction! I backed my action screws down to about 30 in/lbs on the FWD screw and 20 or 25 in/lbs on the tang screw and regained 1/2 - 3/4" accuracy. I really don't know if 65 in/lbs is really required personaly I don't think it is I wouldn't use 65 in/lbs again.

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
12 inch pounds is equal to 1 foot lb.
If your wood stock is pillar bedded then the 65 in. would apply.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote