New
Find
Notify
Tools

saving weight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can any one help? I am looking to get a remington 700 bolt fluted to take away weight. Also considering a Ti firing pin.
Any body know a machinest who can flute the bolt and what kind of money are we looking at?
Thanks
Navigator

Posts: 301 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 10 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
You can try John Ricks who visits here often,
Celt at HD rifles can also flute bolts and he hangs out at a few other forums, 24 Hr , snipers hide.
You question was asked at 24 Hr a couple months ago. If I'm not mistaken I think HD rifles was charing around 125.00

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much weight would fluting the bolt save ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
PC has a good question, I would like to know that myself. I wouldnt think it would be enough to spend the money, but I do like the way the spiral fluting look's.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I can save more weight by skipping the all-you-can-eat buffet for a day or two. Or not going for the "supersize" option.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fluting bolt and Ti firing pin will cost approximately $325.00 per ounce saved. The good news is that you'll only need to spend about $75.00.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wally,
How only $75, you mean for the Ti firing pin?
Navigator

<Savage 99>
posted
I would not spend a lot of money on that Remington to make it lighter.

Go to a gunshop and handle a new Remington Titanium. They are very light and come with a fluted bolt!

No matter what you do to that existing Rem. it will never have the lightweight potential of the titanium model.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would take some extreme rifle to justify the bolt fluting & titanium firing pin for weight savings.

What other steps have you taken to lighten this thing up?

How light do you hope to go?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The gun as it sits, weights in at around 6.5 lbs. I use my rifle for work and some times have to pack it for 50-100 mile treks. That is why I want it light, you combine that with the other 35-50 pounds of gear I pack, the less weight the better.
Thanks
Navigator

one of us
posted Hide Post
wally means buy the ti pin and aluminum shroud and bag the fluting [Wink]
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
If I was faced with that dreadfull situation [Smile] I would probably buy the Remington Ti in 7mm08. Then I would swap the barrels out on my model 7 and have the 20" tube on the Ti. Then I would look at a after market stock that was lighter than the factory Ti. Damn I'm drooling already. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navigator:
Wally,
How only $75, you mean for the Ti firing pin?
Navigator

No I mean it will cost you about $75 for the approximately 100 grains saved on bolt and firing pin. Leave one round out of magazine.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navigator:
The gun as it sits, weights in at around 6.5 lbs. I use my rifle for work and some times have to pack it for 50-100 mile treks. That is why I want it light, you combine that with the other 35-50 pounds of gear I pack, the less weight the better.
Thanks
Navigator

100 mile ruck humps? Used for "work"? "Operator" listed in profile as occupation?

Why bother asking how much it would cost? "Operators" don't care. Have your "employer" cover it.

I don't know any "operators" who would openly disclose it on a public forum... [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
CB,
I buy all my own gear. Cost means what I put into it, I ask alot of my tools. I seek all the knowledge I can. The more I talk to others and listen and pick up new ideas, the better I am.
Operator means what ever you want it to.
Dont jump to conclusions.
Navigator

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not knowing what you're starting with, I'll throw out the suggestion of fluting the barrel if it isn't already. I just had one done on a heavy barrel, weight went down 1# .5oz. The stock might be another place to look for some weight savings (i.e., hollowing the buttstock slightly, machining in some of the "cooling ports" in the forend will save weight as well.

Posts: 57 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 26 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
okay.. bad newss..

sell the 700 and get a model 7, with a carbon fiber stocks. I've got one, for a benchgun, that weighs 22oz.... that's about 8less than a model 7 stock... 20" barrel.. or even rebarrel to a soda straw.

having a barrel fluted WILL change it's accuracy or point of aim...

you could start with a 7# model 7, and get it to 6, with little effort

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote