Find
Notify
Tools

Polishing Springfield parts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
My '03 has the usual partially parkerized bolt parts and the 11-44 barrel shows the fine milling marks. Can a complete amateur do any polishing on any of these parts without doing more harm than good? Is a Dremel at useful for any of this, or does one really need good polishing wheels?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16631 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I've polished a couple of Springfields and lots of Mausers with nothing more than files, stones, wetordry, and emory cloth. Time and patience is about all else required.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Talking about polishing, what parts should one stone to eliminate (light) trigger creep at let-off stage ?

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the Campfire:
If one does not know what parts to stone to remove creep, one should not try it. Find someone who does know and watch several times before you try. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE.
Just my humble opinion, but please let me know where you are shooting so I sill not be there.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?